Sharm conditions 1st week of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neilc

New
Reaction score
Hiah,

Booking the trip this week hopefully . Could any of the Sharm regulars/locals let me know what the conditions are like early May? I've only ever been there late in the year before.

Cheers
Neil.

A friend of mine just got back and said it was 24 degrees C last week.

I was there in September and it was 28.

So I would expect May to be somewhere between the two :)

I don't know about other conditions though.

I'm planning a trip to Dahab at around the same time.

Originally posted by alexeames
A friend of mine just got back and said it was 24 degrees C last week

This was of course referring to the water temperature - forgot to mention.

The weather should be great to excellent in Sharm. I live in Cairo, and I go to Sharm all the time - I might actually be doing some diving there early May -.....The air should be about 25-28 C, water around 22-24 C.....Not so many great coral reefs around Sharm - depends where u've been diving before, u might find it to be heaven - except for Ras Mohammed...Lots of great reck sites though.....

Email me if u need any further info,

Waldo

Originally posted by Waldo
.....Not so many great coral reefs around Sharm

OK, so it is a matter of taste, but I am offended on behalf of Sharm El Sheikh :shark:

Sharm and the surroundings has excellent reefs!
Among my favorites are Nahlat El Tal (just before Nabeq), El Madfayie (this is an untouched reef good for advanced divers and only when sea conditions are good. Most people don't even know of this site).
Then there are the popular ones: Ras Nassrani, Ras Um Sid, The tower.
Then there are the less popular (but not less beautifull): Pinky's wall, Turtle bay, Amphoras, White Knight, Zdead. There are more, of course.

All of the above are great diving sites.
And then you have Ras Mohammed's sites: Shark & Yolanda, the amazing wall at Shark's observatory, Ras Zaatir, Fisherman's Bank. All of them superb sites.
And then some sites at Tiran Island: Jackson reef, Thomas reef..

There is so much to see in Sharm, that one can spend there several months without even getting to know all the sites. I have a couple of hundreds of dives there and I know for sure of dozens of places I've never been or seen before that I would like to explore some day.

As far as I know there are no wrecks available from the Shore in Sharm. Something changed in last couple of years? OK, there is the "Maria Shroder" in Nabeq, if one insists in calling it a wreck, a tanker that was stranded a few years ago on the way there, and a small vessel stranded at Umbarak's Sharks Bay. None of them is considered a wreck for diving purposes. There is another stranded in Tiran.
In Ras Mohammad one can dive in the remains of the "Yolanda" from the shore.
The rest of the wrecks (i.e. Dunraven, Thistlegorm, etc.) are accesible only by boat.

You can go there on May, you'll have great dives. I would go anytime of the year, whenever possible. And remember that a week there is just for you to taste what Sharm can offer. You'll have to come again a few times to start to know it. But that isn't so bad, ain't it?

I would have to agree with vicky, there is so much to see in sharm! Don't miss out on the wall at shark observatory. The geography is dramatic. The coral is, however, getting less colorfull, it is obviously suffering from "overdiving". Check out the coral at Ras Ghazlani, this site has been closed for five years to observe the rate of regeneration of the coral and it really is noticable. The fish in Sharm are the main attraction in my humble opinion. They are big and numerous.
I just got back a few days ago, and the watertemp is about 23 degrees celcius. The air temp got to 34 in the shade. I was cold in a 3/2 steamer with a 5 mm shorty on top so please don't listen to the crazy man that told you to jump in with a 3/2, unless you're planning to do some kind of underwater gymnastics.

Have a good time!

Shark Observatory - that's a new one on me, I'll have to ask about it next time I'm over but that won't be for a year or two.

I'm not a huge fan of Shark and Yolande - it's good one time if not prewarned but it is very dangerous when surfacing, make sure you get in tight to the reef when you come up or you are liable to be run over....

As I've said before I don't think Thistlegorm is worth on a day trip - if you are on a liveaboard and can get in before the masses then OK, still waiting to do the Rosie Muller.

My favourites round Sharm are Jackfish Alley, Lonely Mushroom and the Straits of Tiran.

May should be a nice time of year to go - enjoy
Jonathan

Returned yesterday (25th April) from Sharm. Water temp on my last dive was 25'C. I wore a 5ml wet suit with know problems. The days were hot and sunny with a bit of wind in the morning, this died down in the afternoon.
As the water warms up the big stuff is staring to return. I saw turtle and a white tip reef Shark. A small hammerhead was spotted in Tiran. Tiran was some of my best dives with great drift dives off Jackson. (better than Ras Mohammad)
Have agreat trip. If you want any more info before you go email me.:)

Back
Top Bottom