Sharm Diving Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time on the forum, so forgive me for asking any repetitive questions.

My girlfriend and I are going to Sharm for the first week in October. We've never been before, and have not yet booked any diving there. We are staying just outside Nama Bay in the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
I was wondering if any of you could offer any help on the following:
1) Is the dive shop at the Crowne Plaza hotel any good
2) If not which is the best company to go with
3) Your order of recomended dive sights. (I have 300+ dives girlfriend 12)
4) Best places for lively nights out
5) Best places for quiet nights out

Thanks for your help. Sorry if you get any of these all the time.

Rich

2p worth of Sharm advice....

No idea if the resort shop is any good, so can't help there, but there are a few places I'd recommend. I used to live in Cairo, so Sharm was a weekend trip.

Red Sea Diving College, Oonas Divers and Emperor Divers are all good outfits, the first two are located on the waterfront.

Dive sites - make sure you go do the Thistlegorm wreck. It's a long day as it's a 5 am start, but well worth it. Use nitrox if certified - gives you more bottom time in the holds. The Thistlegorm usually is not part of a dive package and needs to be booked separately, as it's a long way out.

Ras al Mohammed is another must-do. The dive operators have a schedule that takes them to a variety of dive sites - it's difficult to cherry-pick the top ones only as where they take you depends on timing, weather, tides, currents and skill levels on the boat. Tendency is to take you to the easier sites first, then hit the better stuff later in the week.

Camel Bar is where it's at. Divers galore, party place, chill zone with floor cushions on the roof.

Quiet night?? No idea, don't think I ever had one there.... :D

outback:
Ras al Mohammed is another must-do. The dive operators have a schedule that takes them to a variety of dive sites - it's difficult to cherry-pick the top ones only as where they take you depends on timing, weather, tides, currents and skill levels on the boat. Tendency is to take you to the easier sites first, then hit the better stuff later in the week.

Camel Bar is where it's at. Divers galore, party place, chill zone with floor cushions on the roof.

Quiet night?? No idea, don't think I ever had one there.... :D

Apparently Tiger sharks have recently been spotted in Ras Mohammed.

For nights, definitely the Camel, but I agree, not sure quiet nights exist!

Hmmmmmm excellent op: Ocean College (I always go with them). After seeing some dodgy things last month, I wouldn't recommend Oonas.

Dive sites: def Thistlegorm, Ras Mohammed (espec Shark & Yolanda) and Straits of Tiran. If conditions aren't too rough, the outside of Jackson (in Tiran) is a great site for hammerheads and other big ones. And yeah a couple of weeks ago there was another tiger shark "meeting" - this time in Ras Mo. Most dive ops will take you to the less challenging local sites the first 1-2 days

For nights: Camel and Tavern in Naama Bay. More quiet / romantic: Terrazzina Beach in Sharm

Enjoy
Karin

Ditto to what other said.
I would add Camel Divers and a MUST which is Pacha (the same pacha that is in Ibiza)Night Club - the best modern club in this part of the world. Terratzina for romantic dinner is perfect although lately they started to have some parties there.
Because you are going there for the first time my tips can be _ I hope - helpful. But remember they were written before the attacks. Now the security is much more tight so you have to be aware of it.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=68804&highlight=Egypt+tips
it worth booking diving beforehand - in most of the cases it's cheaper.
As I almost live in Sharm (going there every couple of months) I dive with a smaller centre Blue Sea - mainly because I don't like some of the big ones mentioned above - too many divers and snorkels on the boat.
If you have any other questions - please ask
Mania

Tams:
Apparently Tiger sharks have recently been spotted in Ras Mohammed.

For nights, definitely the Camel, but I agree, not sure quiet nights exist!

Would agree with the previous comments, Ras Mo & Tiran are a must although they're considered advanced dives so it'll depend what level your girlfirend is.
As for tiger sharks... :05:
tigerandmea.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom