Sharpening Trauma Shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hydreliox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Good day, good people.

Anyone know the angle required to sharpen EMT shears. Struggling to find another pair in the Philippines and if I can salvage to ones I have it would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance

Most people just buy another one since they're so cheap. But I can see how you'd want to salvage it, I know how hard it can be to get certain items in the Philippines.

From my knowledge of how trauma shears work, you'll want to keep the top blade flat and the bottom blade serrated.
My best assumption would be to take a thin hard metal file and file between the serrations, to make them more pointy. But not sharp pointy, just raised; your serrations are probably dull and look more flattened than if they were brand new. If you try that, please tell me how it turns out.

The angle on my trauma shear's triangle serrations look about 45 degrees. This is on a pair of shears that I don't take diving, I just use it to cut cave line and webbing for small scuba projects. It's been very lightly used to date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom