Shearwater Swift vs Shearwater Research vs Aqualung 02 Clean Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClintoKL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know all 3 can be paired with Shearwater Teric. I can get the Aqualung for $250, the Shearwater Research for $315 and the Swift for $375. I will be installing on my Aqualung Mikron 1st Stage. Obviously the cheap side of me is leaning towards the Aqualung 02 Clean haha. But is there any reason I should consider the other 2? I wont be connecting more than my own Teric.

I know all 3 can be paired with Shearwater Teric. I can get the Aqualung for $250, the Shearwater Research for $315 and the Swift for $375. I will be installing on my Aqualung Mikron 1st Stage. Obviously the cheap side of me is leaning towards the Aqualung 02 Clean haha. But is there any reason I should consider the other 2? I wont be connecting more than my own Teric.

It is my understanding that the Aqualung and what you are calling the Shearwater Research are the same PPS transmitter. Swift, which is now the only transmitter Shearwater sells, is of their own design but uses the same base technology but in their own custom housing and with added logic to avoid conflicting with other transmitters. This allows it to coexist with multiple other transmitters without conflicting. If you are just using one transmitter, the $250 Aqualung should work just fine I believe.

If you are using multiple transmitters the Swift might be better.

The Swift casing design is however terrible, with 3 tiny screws that are just begging to be lost.
I personally won't get one for that reason.
Plus I already have a PPS transmitter and those seem to last forever.

If you are using multiple transmitters the Swift might be better.

The Swift casing design is however terrible, with 3 tiny screws that are just begging to be lost.
I personally won't get one for that reason.
Plus I already have a PPS transmitter and those seem to last forever.

It's about trade-offs. Yes, the transmitter is harder to open to change the batter and yes, you have to make sure to NOT lose the 3 tiny screws. However, I DO like that it has 2 o-rings and the threads seem sturdier. I also like the indicator led on the SWIFT. I have both and like both. Both have pros and cons.

I would get the Shearwater non-Swift.

I'd choose it over the AL for the additional warranty (2 years vs 1, I believe). Not to mention the very quick service (in the U.S.) by Shearwater (via Dive-tronix) if your Shearwater transmitter does have an issue.

I'd choose it over the Swift because I have been using them for years 2 at a time and no problems with interference. I have also had to change batteries at the last minute. Being able to use just about anything to get the cap out for a battery swap has really come in handy. Needing a special and not super-common tool to change the battery on a Swift makes it highly UNdesirable, to me.

Note: Whichever type of transmitter it is, it turns on when it experiences high pressure coming from a tank, and stays on until the pressure goes away. I've had a transmitter battery die prematurely because I left a reg mounted on a tank and the tank valve got rolled on unbeknownst to me. Then it sat for a few days like that.

Not making the battery in the Swift super easy to change was a major design mistake by Shearwater - in my opinion.

Aqualung. Works well. Seems just like a Shearwater.

Have an Aqualung and the Shearwater equivalent in yellow on my rebreather. Can’t tell the difference— yes, one is oxygen and the other is diluent. Both work the same. One could almost imagine they were built in the same factory, they’re so similar.

Hi @ClintoKL

My PPS transmitters are Oceanic/Huish. They will replace it with a new one for $120 after the 2 year warranty is up. I have done it twice in 13 years/1800+ dives, once for hardware failure, once for failure of the over pressure valve. The Oceanic transmitter goes for $400. The prices you quote must be used.

Hi @ClintoKL

My PPS transmitters are Oceanic/Huish. They will replace it with a new one for $120 after the 2 year warranty is up. I have done it twice in 13 years/1800+ dives, once for hardware failure, once for failure of the over pressure valve. The Oceanic transmitter goes for $400. The prices you quote must be used.
Actually the prices are not for "used". I'm an Aussie based in Malaysia and ironically while the prices for the DC's themselves are eye watering here, I can actually get each of the above transmitters in USD$ equivalent new. e.g the Shearwater Swift is MYR1699 (USD$375).

Aqualung. Works well. Seems just like a Shearwater.

Have an Aqualung and the Shearwater equivalent in yellow on my rebreather. Can’t tell the difference— yes, one is oxygen and the other is diluent. Both work the same. One could almost imagine they were built in the same factory, they’re so similar.
Do you happen to know the difference between the Aqualung 02 Clean and the Black versions? I understand that the 02 Clean can go up to 100% Oxygen while the Black caps out at 40%. At least that's my understanding. Not that I have ever dived more than 34% on Nitrox, but given the Shearwater Teric can go up to 100% I assume I should buy a transmitter that is equally scalable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom