Shearwater Teric for 850EUR with two dives, yay or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlovsky120

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As the title says, I've been offered a Teric with two dives for 850EUR (Ican't get it for less than 1100EUR), so that is a 250EUR/23% discount.

I've been looking to get a Teric anyway (or maybe a Perdix).

Any reason to be wary of such a device?
If I read the manual correctly, you can reset it to factory defaults, purging all dive logs from its system, right?

Just the usual Caveat Emptor. Hard to check that the person owns it, etc. Would be good if you can get some form of receipt "So I can continue/transfer the warranty".

Do see them on eBay at tempting prices.

Oh, a dive center I'm currently diving at is offering it. I'll ask about proper ownership and warranty tommorrow, but I doubt they would sell it without it.

There's a lot of info on the board about the Teric's reliability. I think the Perdix is a better bet if you don't have easy access to a repair center.

There's a lot of info on the board about the Teric's reliability. I think the Perdix is a better bet if you don't have easy access to a repair center.

The Teric is highly reliable. People ending dives early or missing dives because of a Teric is fairly rare. Anecdotally, they don't seem any worse than anything else - including the Perdix.

The common issues with the Teric are where they start to discharge while in storage at a faster rate than the factory specifies that they should Generally, that requires a battey replacement and is normally covered under warranty. And, it doesn't prevent you from diving. It just means you might have to charge it once during a week long dive trip - versus not needing to charge it at all during a week long trip when the battery is working per factory specs.

It's personal preference. I had a Perdix AI and a Teric at the same time. I dove them both together for a month or two. I like the Teric so much better that I sold the Perdix and bought a second Teric. No regrets. But, as I said, it is really personal preference.

Eh, I ended up not taking it because it's a year and a half old, by the time I get the chance to dive it, it will be out of warranty.

The Teric is highly reliable. People ending dives early or missing dives because of a Teric is fairly rare. Anecdotally, they don't seem any worse than anything else - including the Perdix.

The common issues with the Teric are where they start to discharge while in storage at a faster rate than the factory specifies that they should Generally, that requires a battey replacement and is normally covered under warranty. And, it doesn't prevent you from diving. It just means you might have to charge it once during a week long dive trip - versus not needing to charge it at all during a week long trip when the battery is working per factory specs.

It's personal preference. I had a Perdix AI and a Teric at the same time. I dove them both together for a month or two. I like the Teric so much better that I sold the Perdix and bought a second Teric. No regrets. But, as I said, it is really personal preference.

I've been on the fence for Teric due to battery issue, but I never realized I was at that scale. I can live with charging it every day or so, as long as it can survive 5 or so dives in a row.

I would like to buy a Teric. I really would. But the repeated failures, especially with the batteries indicates a basic design flaw in only leaving enough room in the case for a battery that must perform on the edge of its design limits. There seem to be other failure modes that also point to over miniaturization of components or manufacturing difficulties. I'm afraid that I am not as understanding as some others.
I would rather think about the battery in my Perdix every year or two, than every day or two with a Teric. I won't consider a Teric until a Teric II comes along.
I can understand that many people prefer the watch style over the brick that is the Perdix, but I just don't have the patience.

I’m still on board with the Teric, I have two and one recently needed repair as the depth sensor failed and the battery started draining fast because of it, I paid $220 for the repair which included the battery, I had it back in hand in a week.

Honestly, I think if Shearwater had written the Teric manual to say "when stored, you should top up the charge once every month", instead of once every 6 months, everybody would love the Teric and nobody would beef. You'd just have a whole lot of people expressing extreme happiness that theirs is so good they only have to top it up once every 6 months.

Both of my Terics have been "needing" to be sent off for battery replacement for months now. I just never seem to find the time, when I know I won't need them for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I have taken them on several week long dive trips just like they are. And, because the batteries "need" to be replaced, I have had to charge them right before the trip and then again, at some point, during the trip (because I don't like to dive with them starting the dive day at a low state of charge).

It's just not nearly as bad as "I have to think about the battery every day or two."

Am I mistaken or haven’t they been updated/replaced 3 or 4 times each because of the battery issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom