Shells in Destin w. pics - not dive related

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
Although this is not strictly dive-related, it does concern marine life (shells). As most of you probably know, finding good shells on beaches around Destin in the Panhandle is not common. Divers and snorkelers stand a somewhat better chance of occasionally encountering nice shells, but often these are inhabited by hermit crabs so I refrain from collecting them. However, a small dredging project took place this fall in Destin that widened a section of beach in the Holiday Isle neighborhood near the Destin jetties. Along with the sand that was pumped in were 1000's of shells in prime condition. When I was in Destin in late November, these shells were just sitting on the beach for the taking, and new ones were constantly being washed in with the waves. I expect these will be available throughout the winter. Especially common were lettered olive shells in pristine, glossy condition. We collected dozen of these. I don't know if these shells were dead before the dredging or were killed due to the dredging (probably the latter). To get to these shells, park at usual access point for the Destin jetties near the end of Gulf Shore Drive. Walk to the jetties, just like you were going to do a dive, and then keep going to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Walk to the east a little bit. The best shell collecting seemed to be in front of the beach-front houses in the Destin Pointe development and in front of the Jetty East condo.

Happy holidays to all the regulars on this board!

Great diversity of shells in excellent condition:
5274536851_84db63a001_b.jpg

Shells on the beach (amazing!). The big shells are lettered olives:
5275145382_4a114a7c5a_b.jpg

Shell collecting. Most of what you see are broken up pieces of sand dollars (they did not survive intact), but there are numerous shells mixed in.
5274540645_ce66964c3c_b.jpg

Thanks for posting. I am a shell collector also. Here are some of my finds. Great hobby. I love it.

Here are a few I picked up offshore southeastern Florida this past summer (2010). Look familiar?
100_6910.jpg

Lightning Albino Welk. This one I found offshore South Carolina. Was shocked when I saw it just laying there. No cleaning required.
34700_1632149008308_1374146939_1644274_4448263_n.jpg

Fossilized scallop. Had to dig this one out of a limestone fossil bed offshore South Carolina. One of my Triton's in the far rear. Thorny oyster in the left front (its on top of a sand dollar)
100_7380-1.jpg

One of my favorites. Don't remember its name but it is fossilized. Found next to a Civil War shipwreck offshore North Myrtle Beach. It was under the sand. Was just digging around and ran across it.
100_2222.jpg

Rear view
100_2226.jpg

Queen Helmet to the left of a Thorny Oyster. Found offshore North Carolina next a shipwreck called the BP-25. Fossilized scallops beneath Queen Helmet.
100_2211.jpg

I find shells in Destin regularly, but I usually dive it in the off months, which means less beach-walkers and scuba divers to scarf them up before I can get to them.

I see a scotch bonnet, a sunray venus, Florida fighting conch lots of calico scallops. Some of my favorites.

Did any of your olives have pin-holes in them? If they did, then an octo or carnivorous snail got them.

Yes, Only Pacific cones can kill, notably the Textile cones. Looks like the big picture of a somewhat worn murex is an old Giant Eastern Murex. Thanks for the pics. Brings back memories of Destin.

Back
Top Bottom