Sherwood Inflator leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oitzu

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an old Sherwood BCD laying arround thats leaking at the inflator, right between the retaining sleeve for the oral inflation valve and the inflator body. (See Picture for clarification)

Unscrewing the retaining sleeve, to expose whats inside, there is just a white plastic ring that looks like a retaining or slide ring.
I feel like there should also be a something like seal gasket in between to make a proper seal, which is missing.

Maybe someone has seen this type of inflator in before and knows more? :)

Attachments

• sherwood inflator.jpg
    sherwood inflator.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 216
  • sherwood inflator 2.jpg
    sherwood inflator 2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 144
The white "washer" may have been a seal at one time, hardened over time and no longer seals the unit. Make up a new seal from some gasket material, put it in and see what happens. As always, check for cracks in the unit as well.

Good luck

Bob

I'd try an o'ring to seal it. Not part of original design, but should work.
If not, new inflators are cheap enough.

20190205_112922.jpg

Don't know what shipping would be to Germany...but I have several of these. Great company to work with.

45-degree Oral Power Inflator

Good luck,
Jay

Thank you, all of you.
Guessing from the drawing part 18 might be missing, i will try to find a "kind-of" replacement.
If it doesn't fit/seal i can fallback to a new inflator.

@Jayfarmlaw this kind of inflator are available here for about 20-30€, so no big deal. :)

Thank you, all of you.
Guessing from the drawing part 18 might be missing, i will try to find a "kind-of" replacement.
If it doesn't fit/seal i can fallback to a new inflator.

@Jayfarmlaw this kind of inflator are available here for about 20-30€, so no big deal. :)
Yes, a missing gasket was my interpretation of that diagram too. Or, it is hardened and stuck inside, not obvious that it needs removal and replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom