Sherwood Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense to rsingler, but the sherwood SR1 2nd stage is nothing like the G250, it's far more complicated with a truly dumb adjustment system and a tiny displacement that causes air to move faster through it, creating more venturi assist and more drymouth. The first stage problems were two fold; one is that the environmental seal cap popped off upon pressurization on a significant percentage of the first few production runs, the other is that some creeped 7-10 PSI right out of the box. This reg was a PR disaster for Sherwood, who had built a well deserved reputation for simple bullet proof workhorses. The SR1 was getting dumped at LP for $200 only a year or so after being introduced.

Nothing at all like the classic balanced piston/barrel poppet combo of the MK10/G250. Then again, SP's current line up isn't either, so there you have it.

Halo,
I only said that the poppets were similar. That's all. I don't disagree too much with your assessment of the second stage.
20130620_130848.jpg20130620_110214.jpg
I still think the first stage is cool, because I think pistons should be sealed like diaphragms. The cap popping issue was just a HP seat o-ring seating problem that required a change in assembly/initial testing. I don't think it was a design flaw. Rather a necessary consequence of the diaphragm insertion into the mechanism. I still like it. What manufacturer hasn't had seat/IP issues?

And as for Scubapro, I think their new Mk 21 is a nice nod to Mk 25 performance, with an attempt to reach a broader market with a price reduction. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Hey rsingler, any word on weather these improvements will be compatible with existing SR1's, (Sherwood is trialing a stainless ring that will go between the spring and the balance chamber).

Thanks

Yes, they will be compatible. I've already seen the same ring placed on the SR-1 during trial. And of course the new poppet will be interchangeable.

If I took my SR-1 in for a rebuild, what would I need to ask for to get the update done?

I have one that I use as a backup. I never had any problems with it and find that it breathes as good as anything else I have tried. (currently MK25 W/ A700) I am just a little nervous with it because of what I have read about it.

Back
Top Bottom