Sherwood SR-1 Free Flows at Cold Water Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting CMan..want to take it offline..wonder why? I am interested in the "fix" to the problem as well.

H20Gal: Sherwood wants to communicate with this user direct. We feel the private message works best and once complete we will post the results for us all to see. We are interested in effective communication to work out the details not in hiding anything.

CMAN: We will have our head technician contact you directly to resolve this. Please feel free to private message us at Sherwood if you have additional questions or concerns.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

I look forward to hearing from your head technician and what he has to say and why the "fix" has taken so long.

I personally use the Sherwood Blizzaed as do many of the people I dive with here in PA. We have made many trips to Tobermory and dove the same wrecks and have never had freeflow issues. We ice dive all winter long and if all the proper pre cold weather dives have been taken, there have also never been any issues. I am a service Tech of Sherwood equipment and definately recommend their gear just from what I have seen and from my own personel uses.

The Blizzard is a proven cold water reg. The freeflow issue is with the Sherwood SR1. I would not be recommending their current SR1 for cold water deep diving.

I personally use the Sherwood Blizzaed as do many of the people I dive with here in PA. We have made many trips to Tobermory and dove the same wrecks and have never had freeflow issues. We ice dive all winter long and if all the proper pre cold weather dives have been taken, there have also never been any issues. I am a service Tech of Sherwood equipment and definately recommend their gear just from what I have seen and from my own personel uses.

I Highly Agree with Jeff on the now newer current SR-1 would it or will it be set to work in more colder water conditions they should be tested in the Great Lakes and at cold water depths to make sure that it won't free flow but i would only use the Blizzard or a Mares Abyss i will never go back to using the SR-1 ever Again you should do tests up here in the Great lakes and see what you think might happen in your eyes of a reg that free flows at cold water depths

John

No issue with my 90's Sherwood Oasis - deep and cold in high altitude lakes. But, I'm always wary of these overtuned/newfangled plastic things.

Hey Team Sherwood:

So..this issue remains unresolved.- That I am aware of and am not speculating-before anyone asks.
Does this reg just sink into the abyss or are you actually going to deal with the cold water free flow problem ?

I took two SR1 into the river last Monday. The river was 41 degrees F and the depth was 5 ft. Reg #1 was tuned to Sherwoods specs and the cracking effort was 1.3, Reg #2 was detuned as per instructions from Sherwood and its cracking effort was 2.8. Reg 1 began freeflow after 4-5 breaths, the only way to stop it was to shut the tank valve off. Reg #2 did not freeflow after 8-9 breaths and even when I held the purge in for 2-3 seconds ( I did this a couple of times). Now that may sound like a "fix" but why would anyone pay $600 for a reg that has a cracking effort of 2.8 ???????????

I've had my SR1 since 2009, and after the original exploding bits were replaced, its been working flawlessly. I've had it down to 100' at 4c, and never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom