Sherwood sr9902 vs sr9952

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapr1705

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can someone tell me the difference between these two Sherwood Octopus regs? I have one that looks like both abd Iam trying to get the correct service kit for it.

99XX__.jpg

As you can see, the two models are all but identical. I can't see that they really redesigned the case to accomodate a larger exhaust valve, as the ads suggest.
The similarity between the 9902 schematic and their top of the line Brut suggests to me that as far as general service kit items go, there can't be much, if any difference between these two reg's kits.
Is there really a different service kit for the two??
The seats and poppet have to be the same. The o-rings can't differ by more than one, I'd guess, and since the poppet is shared, the only dynamic o-rings will match between the two regs.

For example, you have the High End Brut, and the economical Octo. The two internals are all but identical, save for the quality of the lever.
BrutSch.jpg
OctoSch.jpg

There was a refresh of the Brut and the Octo a few years back. They changed their valve completely, from an unbalanced reg which is what's shown in those schematics to a balanced poppet, metal 1 piece valve body as opposed to 2 part plastic and metal, and a finishing washer on the outside which helps identify which reg is which.

I'm like 99% sure the 9952 kit is for the Octo Pro

Thanks Rob. As per the Sherwood Service Kit list, the kit for 9902 should be 9902-PK and for the 9952 should be 9952-PK
No. Thank YOU! Good to have this info.

@jakehbk , would love to see a schematic. Just saw this online for $330. That's pretty impressive pricing for a dry sealed piston and balanced second.

@rsingler Here ya go. Call it a thank you for putting up that excellent teardown video of the MK19. Maybe you can put out a D420 tuning vid next!

They made the change in 2016 to the Brut, I think. It now uses the same poppet as the SR regs.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2019-01-10-at-2.02.42-pm.png
    screen-shot-2019-01-10-at-2.02.42-pm.png
    268 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220212_110118.jpg
    20220212_110118.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 63
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom