Shhhhhhh.......Don't tell anyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Bay Minnow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Due to the number of PMs I got regarding area wrecks I thought that I would post a link to Joe's website. Joe is one of the explorers that found the Wilson recently. He has a great map showing area wrecks with coordinates and a lot of pics that he took!!!!! http://www.tbscuba.com/WreckSites.html

Something that a lot of people don't know is that the Alpena area is littered with sink holes that offer a different kind of diving opportunity. http://www.tbscuba.com/SinkHoles.html The one off Middle Island is AWESOME!! (#30 on the wreck map).

#20 on that map is Rockport Springs where the sand boils and plumes of white alge grows in about 12-15ft of water. Great Snorkeling!!!!

There are a few shore dive / snorkeling opportunities as you can see.

But keep this information to yourselves :no we only have 109+ wrecks up here. We don't want it to get too crowded.:rofl3:

If anyone wants more information, feel free to get ahold of me or any of us lurking on the board from the Alpena area.

Jeff

It amazes me that the Thunder Bay Preserve has lots of wrecks, nice springs, and fairly cheap lodging for divers but there aren't any Dive Ops in the area. There used to be one named "RJ's" or something similar be he picked up and moved his op to Florida. As far as I know there isn't anyone else up there.

I know Joe from Thunder Bay Scuba has a boat but I don't think it's on the water yet and I don't know if he is even planning on running a charter service.

If anyone has names of charter ops please let me know. I've been looking and haven't had any luck finding anyone out of Alpena.

As soon as I sent my last posting I got a PM from Thunder Bay Scuba listing a few people that run private charters. I guess I'll give them a shot.

Yes there are a few dive charters to choose from.

Also, I don't know if Joe said, but LDS has Saturday afternoon hours for air fills now.:D

Or they will do air fills by appointment. "meet you at the door, get ya back in the water"!!

darn, Jeff the secrets are out. I also have a downloadable google earth map of the area wrecks, and sinkholes on my website, it is located on the home page towards the bottom.

The only problem with the divable land locked sinkholes is they are logistically challenged. But as Thunder Bay Minnow the Middle Island sinkhole is very nice. I also have heard of another sinkhole at Middle Island, but haven't seen or dived it.

Motorcity Diver, has the EAN class going, been doing a lot of diving?

mlakin:
Motorcity Diver, has the EAN class going, been doing a lot of diving?

The Nitrox class is over and now I'm finishing up my Rescue Diver. The diving has been slow since my only dive buddy decided he'd rather play the guitar than dive. I had a dive weekend at the beginning of the month in Fort Lauderdale and got about 10 dives in.

I was up at the base last weekend. We had a jet land there with some engine problems and I went up on Thursday and left on Saturday. DC was just finishing up their deployment when I got there. I was hoping to get a few dives in but we spent all day Friday getting the jet fixed. I would have sent you a PM to see if you wanted to dive but I was sent up there on pretty short notice. I was actually hoping to get back up this weekend to dive. Joe gave me a few numbers to call for charter service, do you have any to recommend?

By the way Middle Island is a pretty good dive. I've been to the sinke hole with all the limestone. Pretty cool dive. There is supposed to be a wreck on the East side of the island but I never had any luck locating it.

Sorry to hijack the thread but if you're interested in diving this weekend let me know and i'll try to make arrangements to come up. Thunder Bay Minnow this goes for you also, if you'd like to go dive let me know and I'll make my way up there.

Yea, the F16 is still here, I'll be leaving this Thursday, going to Klamath Falls to help out with Sentry Eagle I'll be there until the 13th of August. If your up after that PM me.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom