Shipping Gear to Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetGator

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're planning a trip to the Philippines. We will travel to Manila via Delta, so I don't have any luggage concerns there. However, it looks like luggage on domestic flights on Philippine Air is extremely limited.

I usually travel with one checked bag with dive gear and clothes, another checked hard camera case, a roll-aboard with my regulator, dive lights, and strobe batteries, and a backpack with my DSLR, lenses, and laptop.

Has anyone successfully shipped gear ahead? I might even consider checking bags until I say goodbye to Delta in Manila, then overnighting gear to the liveaboard port. Has anyone done anything similar (successfully)?

I've heard of using cargo pants and photographers' vests to get past weigh stations, but I'm looking for a different solution.

The Philippines has a good infrastructure of and for international class package delivery companies. Overnighting a package anywhere in the world is going to cost you a "nominal egg" (arm and a leg) and in those islands, I'm nit do sure that normal points of departure for liveaboards would be in the available cities list for overnight from Manilla.

What is your liveaboard departure location? Likely somebody in the Philippines forum could tell us if that is within the list for overnight delivery. It begs the question, ok, so you get off the plane in Manilla, ready to repackage the items to be shipped, then make the transfer from the airport to the common carrier's service center. Whew.

Got to also wonder how much air freight they would charge to fly from Manilla to a sandy beach with a pier? Maybe more than if you just paid the toll to the local airline. Have no doubt, your airline will make certain that anything you are dragging along well be in the flight with you...for a price, and I'm guessing for less of a price than if you were to call DHL.

The old days are gone. We just can't carry large bulky containers for free or cheap. The guys that still do, like the professional photographers, they figure it in as a cost of doing business. It doesn't matter if you're not on an expense account, airlines just want their money.

Just pay for the extra baggage and that way you will be certain that it will arrive with you. It's too much of a risk and a time waster to air freight gear ahead of you to save a few dollars. Also you will not be popular if the boat has to wait for part of your luggage to show up.

I am taking some internal flights with Cebu Pacific and have booked extra luggage allowance...it's not expensive.

Yep. Just pay for the extra luggage. For carry-on baggage you are usually restricted to 1 bag (with size restrictions that vary per airline) and a smaller bag for a laptop, camera or a small drybox.

third that. Just pay for the extra luggage allowance. Common and no big deal. I expect that would be way cheaper and way more reliable than shipping stuff.

Our itinerary is Manila -> Puerto Princesa -> Dumagette -> Manila (possibly passing through Manila between). I've never done the "ship cargo ahead" model, but I've heard others recommend it. I agree rushing to catch an overnight deadline upon arrival in Manila does not sound like fun. I'd consider shipping from the US if it were reasonable.

One interesting piece of advice from our land-based resort is to pay ahead for extra baggage on the airline. This is apparently cheaper than showing up and paying, but I didn't realize paying ahead was an option.

I don't know about people visiting on vacation, but I live here - and attempts to get stuff shipped in can be a little traumatic.

The Philippines has a big import customs tax (~40%) and that can get bigger if the lovely customs people get 'confused' over how much you need to pay. They often seem to get 'confused' over the payments necessary from foreigners...

If they intercept your package and decide you've got to pay import tax on it, there'll be little you can do. Last time, I just got a shoulder shrug and "ok, we'll just keep it here then, unless you pay". You can walk away and leave (lose) your stuff, or you can open your wallet.

It can also mean that your shipment is delayed unless you've been to customs and paid the import tax. It can get very confusing when these things happen. Not what you want on your vacation.

Don't even think about sending anything other than by an international courier like FEDEX or DHL. I have a zero arrival rate for any letters or packages that went regular mail (Philippines Post Office).

There are 'balikbayan' box schemes that are very economical - but that's slow because it comes by sea.

It's less hassle if you can ship to a Filipino name. Foreign names attract attention.

When I need something from overseas, I'll normally wait until I have a friend visiting from abroad and ask them to carry in their luggage. It's the cheapest, most reliable method. That doesn't really help you... as this is what you're trying to avoid. LOL

If coming from elsewhere in SE Asia, the budget airlines flights are cheap, but excess baggage is expensive. I know people who've done two flights to bring all their stuff in... and saved money!

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom