Shoddy gear service- what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on what gear you buy. Deep 6, and others will teach users to service their gear and sell parts. Most will not. Liability issues.

How does Deep 6 manage to avoid the liability issues ?

What liability issues could there possibly be with servicing your own gear? Or changing your own oil? Or VIPing your own cylinders? Or O2 cleaning your own valves?

Just hooking it up, breathing, pulling on and visually inspecting wasn't enough to catch this loose HP hose fastener issue. Hell, it even survived 2 dives by some miracle before falling off.

I have a console like the one below and I had assumed there was some special tool to attach/remove the hose on the SPG. The shop at the resort showed me the SPG can just be popped out of the housing given enough force and fastened with a standard wrench.

I think that you are contradicting yourself in several ways, if the equipment had no issues after your inspection and diving with it for a couple of dives, then either you didn't check it properly (perhaps you didn't know what how to do it) or that it wasn't the technicians fault. I just think that you didn't do it properly because you didn't know how to do it properly since, most likely, you weren't taught how to do it before.

What liability issues could there possibly be with servicing your own gear? Or changing your own oil? Or VIPing your own cylinders? Or O2 cleaning your own valves?

Are we to say that ALL of the other equipment mfg. didn't have good and competent lawyers review their policies and service/warranty rules ESPECIALLY that the other mfg. are much much bigger with much much bigger liability exposure and certainly ability to hire better grade of law firms and lawyers?

Are we to say that ALL of the other equipment mfg. didn't have good and competent lawyers review their policies and service/warranty rules ESPECIALLY that the other mfg. are much much bigger with much much bigger liability exposure and certainly ability to hire better grade of law firms and lawyers?
They use the excuse liability issues. What they mean is, protect the dealer to charge what they want. But you knew this already.

They use the excuse liability issues. What they mean is, protect the dealer to charge what they want. But you knew this already.

Not at all. It had more to do with liability, exposure, responsibility and CYA.

I disagree. But it's all good. I'm sure MAP and MARP was also about liability exposure too..... :)

I think that you are contradicting yourself in several ways, if the equipment had no issues after your inspection and diving with it for a couple of dives, then either you didn't check it properly (perhaps you didn't know what how to do it) or that it wasn't the technicians fault. I just think that you didn't do it properly because you didn't know how to do it properly since, most likely, you weren't taught how to do it before.

I was contradicting *you* in saying that a pressure test, visual and a tug wasn't enough in this case, but don't see how that contradicted myself. I agree, I didn't know how to properly inspect it and already said so.

How is not torquing the spg fastener _not_ the technicians fault? I think you may have misunderstood. If that was the case he probably should have just given it back to me in parts so I'd know I had to do it myself. The threads didn't work themselves out until sometime on the surface after the second dive was complete, but before I dunked my octo.

I'm not disavowing personal responsibility here. I'm a novice diver who had some expectation that a factory authorized shop would put my rig back together completely (even if not right side up). The basic inspection that I believe is thought in most open water classes doesn't cover disassembling the console and checking the fastener.

How is not torquing the spg fastener _not_ the technicians fault? I think you may have misunderstood. If that was the case he probably should have just given it back to me in parts so I'd know I had to do it myself. The threads didn't work themselves out until sometime on the surface after the second dive was complete, but before I dunked my octo.

I'm not disavowing personal responsibility here. I'm a novice diver who had some expectation that a factory authorized shop would put my rig back together completely (even if not right side up). The basic inspection that I believe is thought in most open water classes doesn't cover disassembling the console and checking the fastener.

I am not, by any means, getting the technician off the hook. I am saying that both parties have to check everything. The technician must check it as if he is working on his little precious daughter's equipment and not assume that she will double check his work and that you, the user, must check it and not take anybody else's word or trust anyone else with your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom