Shooting RAW without a strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my old Nikon D70 DSLR, I always wondered why the claimed 3fps was never achievable. Turned out that it could take pictures at that speed only in RAW mode. I guess slow image processing of those days.

Lwang, that only works for some types of images. Not having any red information and putting it back in some images would take huge amounts of time (assuming one knows where it should go. That example is typical, I don't think the fish is actually black and white, it made a nicer looking image, but it did not recover the lost color.

That image works alot better than changing RGB balance. Since I use to try to do RGB balance on jpeg images and the absolute lack of red made it impossible to expand that part of the spectrum. Working on CMYK was strangely very effective, given that red was not one of its primary color, so it did not see one of the primary color completely missing (as in RGB manipulation, where when there is no red, one doesn't know which part of the pix did or did not have red).

Anyway, that process was very time consuming and with so many variables to manipulate (as opposed to mostly just Red in RGB manipulation), it is hard to get the colors just right. I could work on 2 images both with absolutely no red, and they both turn out different. I might have converted 5-10 images before I moved onto changing underwater WB and saving it into my custom WB.

Cool pictures!

But hey, I started out with a 7070 and AFAIK it's the successor of the (10? year old compact) 5050. The 7070 was dead slow when shooting RAW. It took close to 10 seconds to write a RAW file to the card. The resolution was slightly higher on the 7070, but it was not that much.

The AF speed of the 7070 was far from impressive either. Well, maybe in AF-C mode as that was instant (but not very good on the other hand) but in normal AF mode, it was slow (especially in low light and on bad contrasts).

First off; thanks.

Now, with regards to your 7070 comments; you are falling for the profit version of Oly camera history.

The 5050 is the last of it's line; there was no successor. There may be something like a successor from Oly just recently released, but the jury is still out.

The 7070 descended from the 5060, not the 5050. The glass starting with the 5060 was not even close in quality to the 2040, 3040, 4040, 5050 glass; and more importantly not even close to the cost to manufacturer.

Oly chose to cut production costs and emphasize "supposed" upgrades, such as a wider angle lens at first, and increasing pixels later, but the image quality was never as good as even the no raw format 4040, even with the 8080. The 5060, 7070, 8080 glass is cheap, among other cheapness.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom