Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot to mention that I did it a bit too fast last time and had some come out my tear duct. How quickly do you do it?

Not sure I can manage what you just suggested.

I do it slowly so it runs out the other side like a faucet slowly drizzling.

As far as laying down and filling your nose, let me just say, SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI! SPARTI!

Come on man just do it!!!!

I can see you now, just like a bunch of college-age frat boys or sorority girls...
"DRINK DRINK DRINK DRINK DRINK!" :lol:

I will report back later tonight. :D

Well, I was thinking more Cool Hand Luke when they had him on the table stuffing boiled eggs into him YouTube - Cool Hand Luke Scene- 50 Eggs
--but the frat thing works for me too.

Anyway, I found that when I first started rinsing that I would sometimes have the one side blocked issue like you are having. Doing multiple rinses helps clear that stuff out. Also when you get onto a regular schedule it helps keep everything flowing nicely up there.

So I got the NeilMed squeeze bottle and gave it a try. Being a long time Neti Pot user it wasn't difficult to use, but the sensation was different. What I found was that I can use the squeeze bottle every day for a "surface flush" as it does not appear to get as far into the sinus cavities or allow the open throat rinse that a Neti Pot treatment does. And it can be done much faster, plus I don't have the residual drip that occurs with the neti pot. I still use the neti pot a couple times a week for a good rinse. I also do see a difference using it if I am congested. It sort of powers through.

On a recent multiday boat trip I found that I was one of the few who didn't have sniffling problems during the trip. And the squeeze bottle is much easier to pack & use. I also found that I am equalizing much easier and less frequently. I also found that doing a rinse just prior to my gym workouts, cardio or weightlifting made my breathing much easier. I also seem to have thus far avoided (knock on wood) a terrible cough and flu that is rampant in So Cal right now. Could just be coincidence.

Bought the NeilMed, and have been using it a couple times. Unfortunately, I have gotten the funk that is going around. My sinuses are running like a leaky faucet, sneezing like crazy and very tired. Other than that, I am fine! LOL. Maybe I can get the neti Pot and it will work better. I want to go diving!!!!!

If you have the funk and lots of drainage, you should rinse a few times a day--at least 4 or 5 and then again if you wake up in the night. It will shorten your sick time.

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Keep us posted

The Neti pot is very nice. I am back at work today, hopefully I will make it the whole day. Been using the rinse bottle and the neti pot 2x/day and it seems to have cleared up my sinuses quite nicely.

I had to laugh when I was reading through this thread because I too have tried everything and anything to get rid of my sinus issues...I use the Netti Pot and I've found that the nose spray Nasonex works best for clearing my clogged nose :)

Well, my daughter had done the "Neti pot" trick, and said it worked. I was hesitant to try.

So of course I get sinus issues a week before heading to the Galapagos. I didn't think it was a full blown infection, as my drainage wasn't green. Add to that, and it appears that most sinus issues are related to a fungus....that antibiotics do little to combat.

So I decided to give the saline rinse a try. So far, so good. It immediately seems to clear things up. You can buy the prepackaged stuff (salt + baking soda), or just mix 1/8 TEASPOONof slat in warm water. You put your head down over a sink, and let it drain into one nostril, up into your sinus cavity, then out the other. Try to hold it in for a minute and lightly sniff. Next, drain that out, and turn your head over, and do the other nostril. Try to keep it in. It takes a while to get the hang not to gag on it, as it tries to run down the back of your throat. Seems to work.

I'm taking the gizmo with me, as I would die if I can't equalize.

I have never intentionally snorted salt water, but this past summer my girlfriend was lifeguarding in daytona beach, and I went out most mornings with her and swam while she did her morning drill, sometimes the waves were well overhead, then I would usually go teach a scuba class at the local springs (fresh water snorting), and it got to the point where we could actually let water out of our noses on command, her more than me, sinus problem... but I am pretty sure that salt water is nasty, I got a small tiny little cut on my finger when I was diving on a ship wreck in pompano beach and ended up in the hospital hooked up to IVs for 6 days, almost lost a finger to the hand surgeon over it... so, if you snort salt water, be very careful, there are some nasty little bugs in it...

Back
Top Bottom