Shopping for Dive Gear on Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing as how his trip is today, I suspect he booked his dive op a while ago.

There are a few shops on the island, they typically charge full retail price. You can probably find a mares nemo (if they still make that one) and maybe even negotiate a small discount. Other brands I've seen there are oceanic, scubapro, and sherwood, all of whom make decent recreational computers. In general its not a good place to buy gear. You might convince someone else that's coming to Cozumel to bring you one from the states that you overnight to their address. I brought a strobe down once for someone in that position; he had it fedexed to me, I just stuck it in my luggage.

Or, how's this one sound, tough it out with the PADI wheel. For two multi level dives/day it's not a bad way to go. I was really sad to see the wheel disappear from the OW classes, I still bring mine as a back up on every dive trip. I'd bet anything you could borrow one of those from whatever dive op you're using. Personally I'd have no hesitation diving in Cozumel this way, but I'm in pretty good control of my profiles and I extend safety stops all the time just for fun.

Your advice is noted, but not really taken. If I weren't checking my gear out before I left (and after my arrival, for that matter) I wouldn't be safe, would I? Inspection and maintenance should be frequent and thorough in my book.

**** happens. My accident is the sort of thing that could have happened with any battery swap or o-ring greasing, as in fact was the case. It's a reflection of how well-used the computer is, if anything, and not my timetable.

But thanks for the dive shop recommendation in any case.

...so you can afford to fly all the way from Portugal to Cozumel, and you can afford to spend enough upon arrival in Cozumel on a new computer to have bought 2 computers at home (one as a back up) yet you don't already own a back up computer ?

You don't own a back up computer, implying you are an infrequent diver putting minimal wear and tear on your gear, yet you do frequent gear inspections, and you do them too late to do anything about your gear if you do discover there is a problem ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom