Shore Dive and Boat Pickup Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stock545i

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hola! Ok - last minute sanity check.

1) Staying at Park Royal, what's the best value price, convenience, shore dive in the area? Looking for tank and weight rental.

1) El Cid = $8
2) Casa Del Mar = $8
3) Hotel Cozumel = $6
4) ?

2) I understand the PR local shop will charge $5/person/week and issue a wristband to use the dock for the boat to pick you up. Is this the best option?

3) Internet access - any cheaper options than paying $15-$16 / day at PR, like getting a local SIM?

4) Best place to exchange Pesos while in the PR area?

$6 or $8 is basically what tanks and weights cost anywhere. Wouldn't be a factor for me. As to where to dive, I'd say based on a Park Royal stay, you might want to check out Scuba Shack. It's bright yellow and on the south part of the Atlantis Submarine building. (I think) I stay at Casa del Mar, and the last time I was there, Jan/Feb, we had a hard time getting tanks. I think they're compressor was broken or something. Never had a problem at Scuba Shack. They have a pretty easy water entry into a protected cove where their boats load, but watch the waves when you get in. They can push you around and into the rocks. From there, we go north, away from the cruise ships and toward Casa del Mar. You're generally swimming with the current out, and against the current back, so that's not optimal, but doable. Park Royal, Scuba Shack, El Cid, Casa del Mar, anywhere there watch the boat traffic and you must use a dive flag. When I was there last Jan/Feb, there were seahorses in front of Casa del Mar, or around that area anyhow. I saw/photo'd two, and saw pictures of 7 different seahorses. Don't know if they're still there now. It sprung a new business as there was at least one freelance DM who was leading people on dives there to see the seahorses.

I actually dove with Scuba Shack for a week a few years ago, and they were great. Very accommodating. Same experience renting tanks from them. If you don't have a dive op lined up, you might want to consider Scuba Shack. They have very convenient facility, it's easy to get on their boats in that cove, and they have lockers where you can store your gear. Basically, all you have to do is walk across the street from the PR. The shop owner, Roberta, is very nice as are the rest of her cast and crew. Oh, and she was putting this amazing, like, bundt cake on her boats for the SI. Sooooo good. I've been diving with Deep Blue for years, but if I wasn't, I'd probably dive with Scuba Shack. Extremely convenient from Casa del Mar or Park Royal. (Or from Village Tank Haa, Roberta's "hotel" right across the street from Scuba Shack.)

Casa del Mar doesn't charge for boat pick up, but $5 for a week sounds very reasonable. I think Mossman, on this board, stays at PR and would have better info on staying there than I do.

Casa del Mar has WIFI in their lobby. I don't know if they charge or not, but cruise ship workers used to come there to get on the net. If you stay at CDM, there is no charge for internet unless you get the premium service which is available in your room. I was able to connect on the free service in my room so I didn't bother with the premium.

Don't know where to exchange pesos around there. Maybe Mossman knows. We always do that at one of the cambios near the square. Even if you don't get the very best rate, it's still a money saver.

Hope this helps,
-Blair

In terms of internet service, you haven't given us enough information to know if a local SIM would meet your needs. Cellular data is usually going to be slower than WiFi, and it's probably not a great choice for streaming HD movies to the TV in your room using that Google Chromecast you just bought.

A Telcel Amigo SIM costs 150 pesos and comes with 50 pesos of airtime. Prices for various data plans are available translated into English from this link.

I paid about $90 per week at Park Royal, but in some rooms there was a less expensive option.

A good local dive operator within walking distance sounds like a good option. We used Aldora Divers who are quite good, but they took your scuba gear after a day of diving, so beach diving was out.

Thank you Blair, mstevens, Hatul for your input. I am setup to dive with Jeremy @ Living Underwater, so the boat dives are covered. Will do a shore dive out at El Cid.

I will go with the $5/diver option @ PR for Jeremy to pick us up.

Bank option - USD will work so not too worried @ this point.

Internet access... hmmm - $90 /week is still mucho dinero. I'm only looking for email access, and minor web-surfing. Not planning on streaming anything. I have an unlocked blackberry (ATT/Tmobile) wondering if I should carry that just incase.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2013 at 03:44 PM ----------

Wow, they charge for internet? Its free at SCC, and I thought it was free at all hotels these days.

Yes, I thought the same until now.

1. take a cab up to Blue Angel, less than a 1/2 mile, and dive around the stingray enclosure. If you boat dive with them, tanks and weights for shore diving is free. (think this is the policy with most dive ops, some will even bring tanks to you if you tell them where you want to go shore diving at.)

1a. the stretch from Casa del Mar up to Papa Hogs is very pretty...sort of a hidden gem.

El Cid and Casa del Mar are in your are, Hotel Coz, is just outside of town and at least a full mile from PR. Dive with Martin is also offices at the International Pier. If you haven't picked a dive op yet, you could use them and they would provide free tanks and weights for shore dives.

2. PR issueS a wristband to use their pier?...!...? Are they charging extra as well? Isn't that place 'sposed to be AI?! Whatever... yes the best bet is, if your dive op picks up at the hotel pier, (most do), do that.

3. Paying for internet access? I can't believe it!, well actually from Park Royal, I can. Nonsense, grab your computer and go across the street to Ernesto's Fajita Factory or up the street to La Hatch, & sip on a cool one while enjoying free wi-fi.

4. use dollars. I've NEVER exchanged money in the 18+ years of visiting the island.

Thanks for the tips sharky60 and the areas for shore dives. I'm already setup for boat dives with Living Underwater.

Will use option #3 for internet access while out there. Not planning on living online... but Living Underwater :)

4. use dollars. I've NEVER exchanged money in the 18+ years of visiting the island.

You won't lose MUCH money by using Dollars, EXCEPT on taxi fares. There is a lengthy thread (and winner of a "Beating a Dead Horse" award from the Moderator) on the Taxi Mafia, and one of the issues with taxi drivers is that most of them (apparently not all) exchange at a 10-1 exchange rate, Pesos for Dollars. So, an 80 Peso fare from Casa Del Mar to Central will cost you $8.00 if you pay in Dollars. At the current exchange rate of about 12.5 Pesos per Dollar, paying with Pesos will only cost you about $6.25. I know, $1.75 is not a big deal. But If you are taking taxis into town for meals or out to the Money Bar, or to the Bob Marley Bar at Punta Sur, the differences will really add up. Most Hotels will change $50 or $100 to Pesos for you, and even if it only gives you 12 Pesos to the Dollar, you'll definitely save money on taxi rides. I personally like to change $400 or $500 to Pesos at one of the Banks downtown and pay for most things in Pesos, but if you prefer to pay in Dollars, that's your choice. But it's fairly easy to avoid the taxi ripoff if you get SOME Pesos at your Hotel just to cover taxi fares.

Wow, they charge for internet? Its free at SCC, and I thought it was free at all hotels these days.

At least in the United States, I've found that the more expensive the hotel, the less likely the internet will be free (also, breakfast).
It doesn't surprise me to hear hotels don't include it...

Back
Top Bottom