Shore Dive near Cardinal - St Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We're looking for a good location to do a deep dive from shore near Cardinal as part of a PADI Advanced OW course.

Our other dives will be at the Conestoga and Lock 28 etc, so we're looking for something in the area for a deep dive (beyond 60 feet).

Someone suggested a spot called "Roberston Point" about half way between Iroquios and Morrisburg where we could get in and find 62 feet.

No one has been there, so we're in the dark if its suitable.

Does anyone from the area have any suggestions about where you can do a suitable shore dive in the area?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Can you get past 60 feet at Centeen Park? (without going out to the Gaskin)

Centeen Park is about 30 feet. You would need to go all the way to the Gaskin to get 60 feet. Have you thought of the Rockport Wall (west of the Inn and the tour boats)? It will take you as deep as you need (and more). There is also the Campground at Ivy Lea.

You would have to use a boat, but out a little from Centeen at the Three Sisters Islands you can get deep. If I am not mistaken it gets over 100' . Probably not what you want to hear having to use a boat and all. We used to go to the Islander site in A-Bay to get to 95-100' for the deep dive.

If not there is the Morrison quarry. A bit far but you get 130’

Thanks. Thought so.

I considered Rockport wall and Ivy Lea, but we're all staying in Prescott for the weekend, was hoping for something closer.

Does anyone know about this "Robertson Point"??

Using Google maps, it appears to be an industrial seaport of some kind, with very clear "no entry" signs and all gated, unless there's an entry public access point nearby, doesn't look promising.

https://goo.gl/maps/uggBwmGNJhmEn3Mj8

Lock 21 might fit the bill. Lock 22 also but the current is strong. Lock 23 is in Morrisburg but its more like 40 feet inside and 50 feet outside.

I have been in the water in the area of Robertson point. Bottom is around 70 feet (IIRC) but that is in the middle of the shipping channel and has lots of current. There is nothing to see of interest. You need a boat and or scooters. No idea how to access it from shore.

You can do a drift from Duncan Park in Mariatown. You need to exit at Stata's bay. I think I got over 60 feet on that one. There is a small wooden hull at 38 feet to find. However its not a dive for AoW students IMHO.

You can get 95 to 100 feet easily from Centeen park.

One option for Centeen Park that is not the Gaskin. Follow the concrete culvert out all the way to the end. You will be at around 52 feet. Head south until you hit your required depth. You should see a couple of small powerboat wrecks and some other junk. There may or may not be a line. Make sure any heavy breathers have bigger tanks.

However "deep" dives suitable for AoW students in this area probably require a boat.

One option for Centeen Park that is not the Gaskin. Follow the concrete culvert out all the way to the end. You will be at around 52 feet. Head south until you hit your required depth. You should see a couple of small powerboat wrecks and some other junk.

I did the site yesterday and have a few corrections/updates
The "concrete culvert" is actually a steel pipe. It is the one that the line to the Gaskin originates at. The depth at the end is 46 feet but the water was high so it would usually be shallower. There is a broken crib on the right and some kind of metal structure on the left. It kind of looks like a metal channel marker but it isn't. There was no line that I could see at the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom