Shore dives in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all. We are headed back to Cozumel in a couple of weeks on yet another cruise. LOL We are fairly new divers, I only have 2 open water dives myself, 1 in Cozumel a year ago and 1 in Grand Cayman 6 months ago. On this trip, my son will be making his first open water dive with me. So, I am looking for a great location. We obviously arent staying at any resort but we need to rent all the equipment except mask. The dive I did there ast year was pretty plain. I know they had some hurricanes wipe a bunch of their reefs out. So I would like to find a spot with nice underwater scenery. Im trying to find something to reserve a couple spots if needed pretty quick to be safe. Thanks for the info and advise.

Given that you are both brand new divers, with less than 5 dives under your collective belts, I would highly, highly discourage you from shore diving in a place you are unfamiliar with. In the open water course, we teach that you should dive with a local guide when you are new or unfamiliar with an area regardless of the fact that you are now certified. Even from the shore, currents can be strong and there is significant boat traffic. You will be far safer and have a much more enjoyable experience by booking a two-tank boat dive with a reputable operator and hiring a private DM. With a private DM, you will be able to dive the depth you are comfortable with and you will have the expertise of a local guide to help with issues such as proper weighting, buoyancy, desents and ascents, safety stops, etc. as well as show you interesting marine life and assist in keeping you safe - and you will actually be on the reef, not on a barren shore dive. You will not be pressured into diving beyond your comfort zone and you will have a fabulous time!

Thanks. I shouldnt have said Great. I know there isnt any there at this point, but I was looking for the best location. I watched a youtube video at Villa Blanca and it really looked nice. Corals and lots of life. It was posted in 2015 so im not sure if it was before or after the hurricane damage. I will check out Blue Angel online to see what I can find out about it.

I thought about the boat 2 tank dives but they go to 60ft and my son isnt wanting to do that until after his first open water dive. I went to 60ft in Grand Cayman and it was fine. I dont mind staying more shallow and just having a little fun with him the first time out. I want him to feel comfortable.

A couple of years ago my girlfriend, before she got certified, did a Discover Scuba dive with Jose at Scuba Club Cozumel. We were staying there but you are not required to be a guest to dive with them--it's a separate business but located at the resort. We went out on the regular dive boat but were separate from the other divers and he held her hand the whole time and limited the depth etc according to her level of experience. I'm pretty sure her dives cost a little more than the typical $85 for a two-tank dive but she got two amazing dives on great reefs and I was allowed to accompany them. I don't know if Jose is still there, but you could probably find many DMs on the island who would do the same thing for your son.

Edit: It looks like Christi was posting that while I was writing :)

I would personally recommend Christi/Blue XT Sea and so would probably anyone who has dived with them :D

Since you are concerned about the depths of boat dives, I'd point out that most dive sites have a shallower reef line parallel to the one primarily dived. It's what allows DMs to bring you up slowly on a multi-level dive and keep you out of deco. About halway through the dive they will "cross over" to the shallower line, which is the part I enjoy most as the better light and more abundant fish at 30-40' makes for more colorful video. With a private DM, you can dive this reef line for the whole dive.

Thanks. I shouldnt have said Great. I know there isnt any there at this point, but I was looking for the best location. I watched a youtube video at Villa Blanca and it really looked nice. Corals and lots of life. It was posted in 2015 so im not sure if it was before or after the hurricane damage. I will check out Blue Angel online to see what I can find out about it.

I thought about the boat 2 tank dives but they go to 60ft and my son isnt wanting to do that until after his first open water dive. I went to 60ft in Grand Cayman and it was fine. I dont mind staying more shallow and just having a little fun with him the first time out. I want him to feel comfortable.
If it is only the depth you are concerned about, that is easily remedied. You can hire a private DM to accompany you on a boat dive and keep to the shallows while the rest go deep. The reefs accessible by boat are hugely more interesting than anything you can get to from the shore. I would hazard a guess that any op you choose to dive with can easily arrange it for you.

I shore dive a bit on Cozumel, and I enjoy it very much, but only as an adjunct to boat diving, not as a replacement.

BTW, Wilma was in 2005.

Given that you are both brand new divers, with less than 5 dives under your collective belts, I would highly, highly discourage you from shore diving in a place you are unfamiliar with. In the open water course, we teach that you should dive with a local guide when you are new or unfamiliar with an area regardless of the fact that you are now certified. Even from the shore, currents can be strong and there is significant boat traffic. You will be far safer and have a much more enjoyable experience by booking a two-tank boat dive with a reputable operator and hiring a private DM. With a private DM, you will be able to dive the depth you are comfortable with and you will have the expertise of a local guide to help with issues such as proper weighting, buoyancy, desents and ascents, safety stops, etc. as well as show you interesting marine life and assist in keeping you safe - and you will actually be on the reef, not on a barren shore dive. You will not be pressured into diving beyond your comfort zone and you will have a fabulous time!

I agree with Christi overall. Most of my dives have been boat dives. I did a shore dive in a Discover Scuba before certification and recently at two areas in Cozumel. The currents can be quite strong there, more so in some areas than others. Much of the diving in Cozumel is drift diving. When I first started diving it was really helpful to see plenty of other divers and learn from them. I listened to them on the boat coming and going I watched them divng as well. I saw how they used their fins, how they managed their bouancy, equipment they used etc. I love diving and you probably will too.
Hey all. We are headed back to Cozumel in a couple of weeks on yet another cruise. LOL We are fairly new divers, I only have 2 open water dives myself, 1 in Cozumel a year ago and 1 in Grand Cayman 6 months ago. On this trip, my son will be making his first open water dive with me. So, I am looking for a great location. We obviously arent staying at any resort but we need to rent all the equipment except mask. The dive I did there ast year was pretty plain. I know they had some hurricanes wipe a bunch of their reefs out. So I would like to find a spot with nice underwater scenery. Im trying to find something to reserve a couple spots if needed pretty quick to be safe. Thanks for the info and advise.
Paradise reef and Palancar are both really good - not shore dives. There are some pretty strong currents at the shore. It's more inspiring to go under somewhere beautiful and do it with other divers. I learned a lot on my first dives by watching other divers. Listening to them on the boat etc. I've recently done a couple shore dives in Cozumel and saw some cool stuff but there's much more to see on the incredible reefs in Cozumel.

Thanks for the input guys. I am really pushing for a shore dive for this trip. I do understand the visuals of the boat dives being better and thats ok. I messaged Tiki and Scuba Club to see if they have a DM that can go out with us. Im looking for others too to touch base with.

Christi, can you get with me about what you might able to offer us? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the input guys. I am really pushing for a shore dive for this trip. I do understand the visuals of the boat dives being better and thats ok. I messaged Tiki and Scuba Club to see if they have a DM that can go out with us. Im looking for others too to touch base with.
Blue Angel can send someone out with you and it's one of the better shore diving places on the island.

Christi, can you get with me about what you might able to offer us? Thanks in advance.

I'll be glad to set you up with an instructor or DM. Please send me an e-mail to info@bluextseadiving.com with your actual date on the island, ship name, arrival time, etc. and we can go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom