Shore Dives San Diego area help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingPhan

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im going to be taking a trip down to San Diego while im in California over winter (around january 4-6) and i was wondering peoples opinion on some good dives sites ( ive really only heard la jolla and marine room ) and also which are some of the better LDS's i could hire a DM or something.

Thanks, james

Instead of shore dives, try a half day boat out to wreck alley (Ruby E & the Yukon), or to the local kelp beds. You can google the Lois Ann or the Humboldt for a start on some local dive boats....

Instead of shore dives, try a half day boat out to wreck alley (Ruby E & the Yukon), or to the local kelp beds. You can google the Lois Ann or the Humboldt for a start on some local dive boats....

Or the Marissa.

i might look into it but im already doing boat dives in ventura so i was lookin to save a money hopefully but wreck alley does sound intriguing :D

raptor one day and spectre the next

but again any favorite dive spots and which is a good dive shop so i can rent a tank and hopefully find a DM to show me around the water a bit

If the OP will be going to the trouble of scheduling a boat dive, I'd recommend checking out pretty much any site in the Point Loma Kelpbeds. The Ruby E and Yukon are nice, but I prefer the life and structure at sites like Train Wheels.

La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove can be wonderful shore dives on the right day.
Scripps Canyon is a spectacular shore dive, but I'm not sure that the OP's experience level is appropriate for that particular dive.

Rather than hire a DM, why not join up with Power Scuba (Meetup.com group) or solicit local dive buddies on the Divebums.com email list?

LDS list: OEX (at La Jolla Shores), Sport Chalet (UTC Shopping Mall), Ocean Enterprises (Clairemont Mesa). I think you can hire a DM for La Jolla Shores diving at OEX, but I'm not so sure that you wouldn't have a better time diving with a Divebums.com local.

and...hey dive phan how are you, if you find yourself interested in the best that los angeles has to offer, palos verdes peninsula. from santa monica bay to los angeles or long beach harbor is separated by the peninsula. starting the most northern is malaga cove with 20 and 30 ft shallow night diving at its best. a couple of miles north is redondo submarine canyon that begins its steep slopes at like 300 ft from the usually protected surf. its called vets park. at night is premium at depth there especially in jan and feb because of massive squid spawns. its a sight to stay with you forever. back to the palos verdes.....from malaga working your short way around the peninsula to as far as abalone cove will give you some of the most diverse reef in motion you can hope to see in a lifetime again. your basically diving Los Angeles. diving orange county to the south is another nice set of dive sites. they seem to be more confined and not as ongoing as pv. still in the winter they are nice dives. malibu, tom petty and jennifer anniston along with multitudes of other high profile identities make thier homes there. there are no private properties below the high water mark of high tides meaning you can dive right in front of thier multi million dollar homes which have extensive reefs that will claim hours on end of your time exploring. when conditions are good anywhere i've mentioned, they are good. when they are not as good, they can be listed by most divers as undivable. there are us that dive them anyways. why? you'll find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom