Shore Dives, Traverse City To Mackinaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcarlson1911

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be heading up to Harbor Springs MI this next week. Please share your shore diving sites from T City to St. Ignace.

I have found the link to the CH Johnson and the Macinac UWP,so if you have additional suggestios, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

pc

pcarlson1911:
My wife and I will be heading up to Harbor Springs MI this next week. Please share your shore diving sites from T City to St. Ignace.

Thanks in advance,
Well, we just dove a simple one in TC this weekend. Just north of TC on M-22 is Elmwood Township Park. (the entrance is right across from Subway) There is a wooden hull wreck not too far off shore in 20-25' of water. You can get a map of exactly how to get to the wreck at Scuba North which is just south of the site on M-22. I was a bit suprised when I got down there and saw the wooden hull because it was described to me as a "derilict ship" so in my mind I imagined something like the modern sailboats that are moored in the area. Also, just north of the wreck is a rock wall jetty which protects a marina. The jetty has a lot of fish congregating around it so it's interesting to snorkel/dive near it after you've checked out the wreck.

Thanks bob!

Does ScubaNorth have maps to many sites?
pc

pcarlson1911:
Thanks bob!

Does ScubaNorth have maps to many sites?
pc

Scuba North will have the info that you need. Very friendly people, too. They are located a couple hundred feet from the site @ Elmwood Twp Park.

Just be advised, the Blue Angels are in town and are flying today through Sunday. Traffic and parking will be especially wonderful. Elmwood Township park will be packed well before and after those shows.

I think the airshow starts at 12:30 on the weekend. Friday is a practice day.

Try to hit the Pipelines also. It's just around the bay towards town. Used to be able to say by the power plant but the power plant was torn down last year. Scuba North should be able to give you direction to that one also. Traffic and parking will be even worse down there though.

Have a great weekend!

...a couple years ago. Me, GTXL1200 and Cldwdiver were up in TC for the weekend and did all the dives that Dave knew about in the area. Ask Ted about the varied life forms we saw on those dives! The pipes is a LONG dive if you go clear to the crib at the end, and you will see five things. 1. pipe, 2. sand, 3. crawfish, 4. zebra mussles 5. more sand.

The dive on the wreck at the park is a good one, the fish along the seawall is worth the trip, and then the wooden hull itself. Dont' forget to look for the sand, crawfish and zebra mussles! All of those are found on that dive too!

Any dive up there is a good dive, as the water is usually clear and clean, but it can be a bit boring.

Enjoy the dives!

OH, the guys at Scuba North are really excellent to deal with.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Anyone have typical water temps above and below the tcline?

Thanks
pc

Based on quite a few dives at Mackinaw (depth of 116'), surface can range from high 50's to mid 60's and below tcline can range from 41-48. Can be done in a 7mm but drysuit is much more comfortable. Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom