Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you change the title of this thread to Diving Solo, you may see a much faster response to your question.

My personal opinion...No.

I think you're pretty much going to get the same response from the buddy vs. solo people on the board.

IMHO, I still don't think any solo dive is safe. There's a million things that can happen to you underwater (i.e. - seizure, heart attack, entaglement, etc.). Sure, you can make a safe OOA ascent, but that doesn't include all of the hazards.

Sorry if it sounds pessimistic, but I'm sure this thread will go the same way as the others.

Anyway, ask around. I know how hard it is to find people to dive with sometimes :wink:. You never know how many new people you'll meet.

scaldwell once bubbled...
For a warm water resort shore dive in 20 ft water is it acceptable to be unaccompanied? I have often wondered this.

cheers,
Stephen:doctor:
Totally depends on what level of risk you find acceptable. Weather, current and visibility can make the risk unacceptable, as could entanglement hazards. And no matter what you do when you're under water alone you are at higher risk than when you aren't - think "debilitating event."
Personally, I'd find the risk acceptable at, say, Buddy Dive in Bonaire on a "normal" day.
E. itajara

If you wouldn't solo from a boat, why would a beach dive be any different?

Check with those involved. The resort? - I'd rather appologize than ask. Yourself? - Your call. Others? - My wife's objections were never too strong and she's fairly comfortable with it now. What about the rescuers & associated personnel? - Done right, you can at least minimize the problems you might cause.

I assume, by virtue of your even asking this question you are fairly new to diving. Also by virtue of your diving in the Ocean, I would recomend diving with a partner on both accounts. Better safe than sorry ! Unfamiliar terrain, currents, assorted marine life, anything could happen to you. Err on the side of caution, and find and use a buddy .......Enjoy your trip. Live to tell your friends about all the stuff you did and saw..................
Wreck/Tec

As an instructor from northern ca, I did it often. I would always teach you not to do it though, because it really is safer to dive with a buddy.

I did it to set up my float and lines before my class would show up, by myself. I felt comfortable doing it because I knew my limitations and my dive area very well. My dive was also limited to 5 min or so (not that it makes any difference...).

I would say that if you do dive by yourself, you better have people on shore watching you, and that can assist if needed. Diving is safe if done well, but like anything, there are risks and unforseen events.

Just be aware that your risks are much greater diving alone, always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom