Shore Diving and Truck Rentals for 2024 Bonaire Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't Plaza resort have on site truck rental available?
I believe that at least at one time, AB was the rental agency supplying The Plaza Resort. They were practically next door to each other in the late 90's
It has been some time since we stayed there, so I have no current information

Over the years we have used various rental agencies on Bonaire, but we narrowed it down to AB nearly every time, unless we are using a resort package where trucks are included.
They rent the right vehicle for Bonaire shore diving, for a decent price, and have the staff to service them should you need roadside assistance.
This at least has been our experience. As advertising disclaimers have been known to state: Individual Experiences May Differ.
We have also used AB on our last several trips. The last time, the tailgate did not work, they exchanged it the next day

We have also used AB on our last several trips. The last time, the tailgate did not work, they exchanged it the next day
Maybe I am different, but I actually prefer they rent me a banged up vehicle with a few minor issues, so any minor dents I can add Bonaire shore diving, will go unnoticed.
A working tailgate, though, is pretty vital to gearing up for a Bonaire shore dive.
....not just open and shut, but actually latch closed. Dale and I have enjoyed the experience of climbing the rock, rut and rubble "shortcut" "road" from the northern sites like Karpata, that goes up and over the top, past the radio towers, only to look in the mirror and see tanks and gear WAY back down the hill behind us, that was NOT there as we came up that steep bumpy hill!! :shocked:
oops. O S!
Tanks under our gear had slid going up that rough climb, and the tailgate had not stayed latched. :(

What do you do with spare tanks?

What do you do with spare tanks?
Tanks have never been the problem.
Well, theft of Tanks, at least. There is no market on the island to sell them.

Gathering enough Tanks for a bunch of divers to do, say 3 dives, THAT can be an issue at some of the resorts.
On a busy week there are often not enough tanks topped off for that. :(
Gathering a couple Extra Tanks, just in case one of those tanks has a bad valve, that too may raise some eyebrows. :( :(
Tank valves that are not exactly perfect (O rings, neck leaks, etc), THAT too can be and issue on Bonaire. Look closely.
We divers are not always as careful with rental gear, as when we use our own gear, and Bonaire shore diving means that rental tanks can get a LOT of both use and ab-use, in a very short time! Always grab an extra tank or 2 ( be sneaky, as this is discouraged by all ops), and grabbing them the night before may bite you in the butt the next morning, when you arrive at that choice dive site, only to discover that one of those nice "overfills" you found the afternoon before, now only show @2300#, or less.

Someone should call Al and see if SB as a group has a discount price when renting from Plaza Beach Resort directly . They have golf carts and trucks on site

About tanks, we have loaded 8 tanks in one trip without issue. If there are 5 divers in a truck, at 2 tanks each , that’s 10 tank loaded for shore dive, no big deal

can we hire a local driver to stay with the truck during dives or is that just a waste?
I'm thinking that's what the non diving buddy is for...?

Someone should call Al and see if SB as a group has a discount price when renting from Plaza Beach Resort directly . They have golf carts and trucks on site

About tanks, we have loaded 8 tanks in one trip without issue. If there are 5 divers in a truck, at 2 tanks each , that’s 10 tank loaded for shore dive, no big deal
I’ve got an email out to Al asking about rates/specials.

If I don’t hear anything back after tomorrow I will call.

Tank valves that are not exactly perfect (O rings, neck leaks, etc), THAT too can be and issue on Bonaire.
Quick question re tanks - is there DIN readily available or is it mostly yoke?

I just ordered a DryFob XL, mostly for future PLB storage, but also planning ahead for some of my local quarry diving and this trip.
Thanks for the shout-out and the support :)
Rental keys should also fit nicely in the L version.
Wish I was going, such amazing diving.

I'm not sure how often or how many shore dives I'll do but I'd definitely be interested/willing to split a truck rental with a few others. I'm guessing the included 2 daily boat dives will be done in the morning leaving all afternoon (and night) for shore dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom