Shore Diving from Santa Cruz Island???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Santa Cruz at the beginning of August. Going with another couple, and the guy wants to SCUBA, if possible. We'll be at the Scorpion Canyon Campground.

I am going to check with the NPS, but has anyone beach dived from the anchorage beach within the anchorage itself or just north of the pier or south along the walls?

Why ?
Drag all your tons of modern diving equipment to the island ?
After your air is depleted you have a dead pelican on our hands

Why dive on a camping -exploring trip?

Mrs. Miller and I spent a very long 4-5 day week end there hiked the island but only saw a smattering of the island

Visit the island via a dive charter boat

SDM

It's been 30 years since I dove from Scorpion land-based with a Cousteau dive team. I've dived the area several times from dive boats. As Sam says, much much easier to do it that way.

Scorpion anchorage is a dive location (occasionally) visited by the dive boats. The surface swim to the kelp or pinnacles should be very minimal. Should you choose to not take your SCUBA gear, you should still snorkel as there is lots of life in the area.

If you are looking to do lots of diving, just take a dive boat out of Ventura.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom