Shore diving in St Johns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cook_n

New
Reaction score
Are there any beaches near the ferry were one could do a shore dive. If so are there any dive shop nearby for tank rentals
Thanks for any info.

Just got back from St. Johns - unfortunately, shore diving wasn't on the agenda for the trip. Cruz Bay is where the ferry comes in and it didn't look like there was much there in the way of shore diving but you can find one of many beaches close by. You can find a dive shop very close to the dock - less than 50 ft. from it to the right (it's Low Key Watersports) or straight up the hill is Cruz Bay Watersports.

If you are staying there for a few days - I'd suggest going out with St. Johns Dive Adventures. Jay and Brad own AND operate it. They were great!

I have snorkeled several times right off the beach at Gallows Point so it would seem possible to dive. If my memory serves me right it is about a quarter mile from where the dive shops are located. Would be a good hike with gear and tanks! Also, beach access is limited since most of the point is rock. Might be worth a call to the dive shops to find out what is available.

Right there by the dive shop are boats for rent, from inflatables on up. I'd avoid diving from the beach there, as the boat traffic would be too risky, and there isn't squat to see in the harbor anyway. Now if you can get there for the 4th of July week carnival and fireworks, ... That's worth staying on the surface for.
If you're going to be in St Thomas/StJohn, do the wreck of the Rhone,... definately a got the cap/got the Tshirt dive. It's actually in the BVI, but the USVI DO's go there too.
Enjoy your visit, I came here from Houston a few years back, and stayed.

Darlene

There is a dive shop in st john in the center of town ...to the right..up the hill....

And, you can rent a car there for about $65 a day and drive to all the beaches. I never had any problems with theft but i still recommend one with lockable doors. It is very easy to drive around st. john. STAY ON THE LEFT!!! Take the island road to the left side of the island as seen on all maps and you will go by at least 5 or 6 beaches. If you go off season they are almost deserted.

There is also a dive operation associated with the Westin Resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom