Shore diving in the park....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jujubeess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello,
My husband and I have been to Bonaire, 3 years straight and always stayed at the Divi, in a studio, for their excellent dive staff and the convenience of your own locker, right on the dock. We combine both boat-AM dives( comes with the room and breakfast) and pm shore dives. We traveled last year to the park to do the hiking to the highest point in Bonaire. The roads were terrible and it was way too long to travel. On route to the exit(one way road), we came across a few dive sites and a small beach. Can anyone give me information about diving these sites? Are they easy or hard or have a lot of current? I have the shore diving book but would prefer your input Thanks

Great diving up there but the entry/exit can be tough especially when there is big waves. Current is pretty much non existent on the leeward side of the island but up in the park you can get some. less reef damage, bigger stuff, worth it but do it when the seas are calm.

This is just my personal opinion: I liked seeing the park for it's own sake but wouldn't bother diving up there again. I'd just as soon dive the Caral's Vision/Nukove area which I think kind of gives you a taste of what the park is like anyway. You won't like the roads any better though, but you're supposed to enjoy them anyway :) Just take it easy and take a tire inflater along.

We just got back from 3 dives in the park. I wouldn't recommend it. The diving was nothing special - similar to the rest of the sites we've visited on the island - and there's a lot more surf to contend with. Plus the road is pretty bumpy and miserable!

We just got back from 3 dives in the park. I wouldn't recommend it. The diving was nothing special - similar to the rest of the sites we've visited on the island - and there's a lot more surf to contend with. Plus the road is pretty bumpy and miserable!

I disagree after diving 6 of the sites in the north.
Some of the best diving on the island and very few if any other divers about.
The road was bumpy but happy.

Reactions: RJP
I, too, love diving the park and highly recommend it. Especially if you've been to Bonaire a few times already and not done any.

Key is to bring at least three tanks per diver, along with lunch and drinks, and make a half day of it. The road around the park is one-way and slow going, so get there right when the park opens, dive your first site, then use surface interval for a nice leisurely drive to the second site, etc.

Ray

Your mention of a small, sandy beach raised a warning in my mind. You might be talking about a place called Playa Chikitu (? spelling; I'm on Tapatalk). If so, that is not a dive site, it has signs indicating it is dangerous, and a buddy and I had our butts handed to us trying to dive it. Do a forum search for Playa Chikitu and I think you'll find my thread on it.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom