Shore Diving: Max Safe Distance/ Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No need to put a GPS Marine Radio in a waterproof canister. the Nautilus Lifeline is so tough it is depth rated to 425 ft all on its own and its distress range is up to 3500 sq miles!

That is a VHF radio and is only good for line of site transmission. Transmitting from about 6" above the water I do not think it will cover 4 sq miles, never mind 3500 sq miles! How do you justify this claim?

No need to put a GPS Marine Radio in a waterproof canister. the Nautilus Lifeline is so tough it is depth rated to 425 ft all on its own and its distress range is up to 3500 sq miles!

the Nautilus Lifeline cost ~ $300 i can buy a monster marine radio with that much with integrated GPS :\ ....... and with missiles JK :)

to be honest i dont think thats a viable solution. i can pick up a decent submersible radio like this one for less the 100$ and stick it in a small pvc canister along with my my small handheld waterproof gps and call it a day.

Amazon.com: Uniden MHS75 VHF Waterproof Two-Way Marine Radio: GPS & Navigation

Another thing you might consider is a scooter. If you and your buddy have them, and you stick to rule of thirds on battery burn time, then you have a mechanism for fighting current and for getting an ill or injured diver back to shore. It's a major investment, but it might be worth it.

As for GPS and radio, you can put one in a light canister type device, and that way it will be dry and not have to cope with pressure. A friend of mine does that for all boat diving in the Sound.
If your depths are really only going to be 25-30 feet, Costco is selling something like these: Amazon.com: Sea Doo Dolphin Sea Scooter: Sports & Outdoors
I think they're about $150 at Costco, and they say they have a 1 hour battery life and the one I looked at said max depth 30 feet instead of 15 quoted in the link above. A cheap (though probably not very good for a full grown adult with scuba gear) solution for shallow scootering.

If your depths are really only going to be 25-30 feet, Costco is selling something like these: Amazon.com: Sea Doo Dolphin Sea Scooter: Sports & Outdoors
I think they're about $150 at Costco, and they say they have a 1 hour battery life and the one I looked at said max depth 30 feet instead of 15 quoted in the link above. A cheap (though probably not very good for a full grown adult with scuba gear) solution for shallow scootering.

Those are pool toys, I can swim faster than those could pull me. Just some more junk for a landfill.

N

:chuckle: that wont do...

the problem isnt depth. its battery duration as well as thrust. i wouldn't get very far with that thing if anywhere with gear on.

i would realistically need to get something like a long body Gavin or a Cuda 650 - 850. to get the battery life needed to actually get out there and back safely on 3rds at my target distance.

more or less along these lines
CudaGavinSierra1.jpg

thats like a ~ $4000 $5,000 investment new.... i can barely pay for dive trips right now :shakehead:. that's not going to happen any time soon....... BUT..... it will happen some day :D

I know! Become an instructor and you'll be able to afford one in the year, uhh, hmmm....never mind.

That is a VHF radio and is only good for line of site transmission. Transmitting from about 6" above the water I do not think it will cover 4 sq miles, never mind 3500 sq miles! How do you justify this claim?

The DSC alert is sent by a digital VHF Signal that transmits much further distances than a regular VHF Signal, our third party runs tests by the coast guard They have received that the DSC alerts up to 4000 sq miles with the GPS being accurate to 5 meters. Our regular VHF transitions can to transmit to a 5 mile radius...

We recently received a testimonial from a diver from Jupiter Florida who bought the lifeline and needed to use it within 24 hours of purchasing it, he said;
"299 was the best investment I ever made because it saved my life"

Back
Top Bottom