Shore Diving: Max Safe Distance/ Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The simple answer is how far before you can't kick back in on a surface swim. The obvious factors about current and surf conditions will apply. Also, you do have to worry about boat traffic. A dive flag may mark your position in the water but the boat operator still has to see you. There have been posts here about boats coming much to close for comfort.

You should always tell someone where you are going and what time you should be back when shore diving. If you have seen the movie 127 Hours the main character Aaron Ralston never told anyone where he was going and what time he was due back. He found himself in a life and death situation because nobody knew where he was to even start looking for him when they knew he was missing.

If you are taking a floating device for the dive flag then in addition to the other support gear don't forget to include some drinking water. The biggest concern for anyone in a survival situation is having enough drinking water.

Personally, all of the shore dives I do in California are only a hundred feet off shore or less. If the reef is too far off shore I'm not really interested in kicking out that far. I prefer to dive closer in anyways and always within a comfort zone.

Inflatable boats make a splendid dive platform. A 310 (~10'2") inflatable will fit two divers and a "captain", although it will be a little cramped. The "captain" can stay topside and get a suntan/read a book. Then, once you get close to the 45 minutes mark, he or she should start looking for your deployed SMB (you have a 6 ft orange SMB, right?).

I second the scooter / dpv suggestion & accompanying info on 3rds etc with it.

Lots of good ideas here. I do a lot of shore diving in water that usually has a pretty mild tidal current. I consider this if diving on an outgoing tide, as you're getting a tiny push going out (that you don't even notice), but you notice going against it coming back. Another reason I don't wander out too far is I usually dive solo and am very prone to cramps. I may go a bit further if my legs feel that they are unlikely to cramp that day. I am also very aware of the bottom composition for use of rocks to pull yourself along should I cramp up. I try to limit depths to 30' (10M).

i beach/ shore dive alot since i dont have access to a private boat. lately me and one of my buddies have found our selves extending the "normal" range of of you shore dives. we normaly would hit sites ~ 0.4 miles (~ 700 yards) strait out into the ocean. tho recently we have gone and hit about a full mile or so out on a few dives. we live in south florida so its mostly still very shallow all the way out there (25 ft average) so there is room to do long dives and explore alot of area.

i was wondering at what point it would start to be "to" far to go. i dont know to many ppl that beach dive actively in my area. so i have no real reference to what a reasonable distance out is. ive been trying to gauge it on my comfort level. but have found that i really dont feel all that concerned with being out there. we dont have any surface support etc so what ever happens we would need to deal with alone. which was something that came to mind a few days ago after getting pulled out a good extra 1/4 mile by a current in the middle of the night.

what would be some precautions that would smart to take if we do keep going out far? i was thinking of taking a large floating device to tow with my flag or maybe my kayak, to use as a resource for stowing emergency equipment, better visibility to boats and a possible way to make expected/unexpected surface swims back to shore easier. i was thinking maybe a marine radio also...

I have made this swim several times to the Anglin Pier Ledge. I did it solo of course so there was no real concern for another person slowing me down:

CommercialPier2.jpg

Out on the deep ledge I met a friendly turtle:

IMG_1243_edited-1.jpg

As well, I made this dive with no BC(D) and in vintage gear, single stage Voit 50 Fathom and steel 72, Voit Snugpack plate, on the way back in, my surface float and flag, a GPS and radio were attached:

P6170106.jpg

Entry point:

P6110126.jpg

Not much further now and I can rest, I made the swim out and back on snorkel:

P6170105.jpg

Setting up, and nobody stole my stuff even over the several hours I was gone:

P6170004.jpg

I have gone offshore much further solo, I found a long time ago, this is the type of dive that a buddy is not suitable for. The Anglin Pier is one of my favorite beach dives, both shallow and deep reef accessible. This area is perfect for kayak diving but getting one in my carry on is a challenge.

I believe this was the time a local dive boat stopped and asked me what boat I was from, I was a bit perplexed by the question, as his was the only dive boat about?

N

I have made this swim several times to the Anglin Pier Ledge. I did it solo of course so there was no real concern for another person slowing me down:

CommercialPier2.jpg

Out on the deep ledge I met a friendly turtle:

IMG_1243_edited-1.jpg

As well, I made this dive with no BC(D) and in vintage gear, single stage Voit 50 Fathom and steel 72, Voit Snugpack plate, on the way back in, my surface float and flag, a GPS and radio were attached:

P6170106.jpg

Entry point:

P6110126.jpg

Not much further now and I can rest, I made the swim out and back on snorkel:

P6170105.jpg

Setting up, and nobody stole my stuff even over the several hours I was gone:

P6170004.jpg

I have gone offshore much further solo, I found a long time ago, this is the type of dive that a buddy is not suitable for. The Anglin Pier is one of my favorite beach dives, both shallow and deep reef accessible. This area is perfect for kayak diving but getting one in my carry on is a challenge.

I believe this was the time a local dive boat stopped and asked me what boat I was from, I was a bit perplexed by the question, as his was the only dive boat about?

N
so let me get this strait, you swim out to the anchor symbol or the for east dive flag symbol? on the map image? i dive that peir sometimes tho its a long drive. i generally see no real reason to swim out farther then the 2nd reef line because there is so much to see on the parallel stretch from the beach. tho that picture you put up is sparking my interest. were exactly is it you go out to? the 3rd or 4th reef? inow i have no problem swiming out here, im just interested in making it safer. i use a home made dive flag that uses a boat size flag and red pool tubes that make it easier to see. tho again its not like every one knows what a dive flag is... i think i should start thinking about a radio. would really suck if we get stuck out there and have no way to call for help.

i would love to have a scooter. tho i can already see myself pushing the limits on that... :shakehead: plus EXPENSIVE :'( not at the point in my life where i can have that.

I have made numerous dives along that area going back into the 70s. The anchor symbol is a named ledge where the drop begins to deeper water. From the entry point it is approximately a 1.4 mile swim (one way) and on this particular dive, that was the ledge I submerged on and worked my way northward and then back towards shore until my air supply was exhausted (I kept about 500 psi in case I needed to submerge below a cruise ship or nuclear sub or something, :wink: ). I had my cell phone in a waterproof bag, my plan being if the Stream carried me far north I would call her to come and get me. As it was, on this day, the current was obliging and an inshore eddy carried me back south nearly to my entry point.

It is a long swim, I was in the water, as I recall, something around four hours. My legs were a little like jelly when I got to standing depth, but I am nearly 60, so I guess that is OK.

N

I have made numerous dives along that area going back into the 70s. The anchor symbol is a named ledge where the drop begins to deeper water. From the entry point it is approximately a 1.4 mile swim (one way) and on this particular dive, that was the ledge I submerged on and worked my way northward and then back towards shore until my air supply was exhausted (I kept about 500 psi in case I needed to submerge below a cruise ship or nuclear sub or something, :wink: ). I had my cell phone in a waterproof bag, my plan being if the Stream carried me far north I would call her to come and get me. As it was, on this day, the current was obliging and an inshore eddy carried me back south nearly to my entry point.

It is a long swim, I was in the water, as I recall, something around four hours. My legs were a little like jelly when I got to standing depth, but I am nearly 60, so I guess that is OK.

N

:amazed: !!!!! :D Please Tell me more!!! hows the coral growth/ sea life like there compared to the closer reefs?? whats the depth change between the start of the ledge and end? you have any more pics? i think if i do ever go there i will 2 tank it. 134 - 155 cuft is more then sufficient in case of unexpected nuclear subs.

I would not go out very far without a kayak. Too many boats. if you are gonna just swim out (or use a scooter) i would suggest a good flag/float that will not cause a lot of drag. This one is excellent, a life guard can with a ballast weight and flag. It tows very easily and has enough buoyancy to hold you up in an emergency. I beat the heck out of mine for years now.

MHHF2-2.jpg

I would not go out very far without a kayak. Too many boats. if you are gonna just swim out (or use a scooter) i would suggest a good flag/float that will not cause a lot of drag. This one is excellent, a life guard can with a ballast weight and flag. It tows very easily and has enough buoyancy to hold you up in an emergency. I beat the heck out of mine for years now.

View attachment 148725

do these things have storage capabilities ? i was thinking of getting some thing like that. tho i would like it to have a stow away hole or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom