Shore diving on Cozumel at present

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from Caribe Blu/ Blue Angel, and might be able to give you a bit of information. First off, the easy access that once was there is changed, and you now have a rather twisty and narrow path between all the (sharp!) rocks to get out into usable depth. It is doable, if the surf cooperates, as we were out there a couple of times. But the wave action was too rough most of the time for any kind of safe entry or exit. Once out there, we didn't find too much problem with current, and certainly had worse on a couple of the boat dives we did. The area is pretty scoured, as you might imagine, but there was a surprising amount of marine life around. We even found a pair of flying gurnards, which is the first time I have encountered them down there. And it would have to have been on our checkout dive, with no camera along. Isn't that always the way? Actually, the dives were pretty nice, and I really wish we could have gotten out there more. I particularly wanted to see this area at night, but the surf was just too unmanageable for most of our trip ( and of course, the sea urchins would have been all over those rocks after dark, and that would have made things even more interesting!:shocked: ) If they can get the area rearranged a little, and/or get the dock back up, that might make this a lot easier. But for now, right in front of Blue Angel is rather touchy.

WOODMAN:
We just got back from Caribe Blu/ Blue Angel, and might be able to give you a bit of information. First off, the easy access that once was there is changed, and you now have a rather twisty and narrow path between all the (sharp!) rocks to get out into usable depth. It is doable, if the surf cooperates, as we were out there a couple of times. But the wave action was too rough most of the time for any kind of safe entry or exit. Once out there, we didn't find too much problem with current, and certainly had worse on a couple of the boat dives we did. The area is pretty scoured, as you might imagine, but there was a surprising amount of marine life around. We even found a pair of flying gurnards, which is the first time I have encountered them down there. And it would have to have been on our checkout dive, with no camera along. Isn't that always the way? Actually, the dives were pretty nice, and I really wish we could have gotten out there more. I particularly wanted to see this area at night, but the surf was just too unmanageable for most of our trip ( and of course, the sea urchins would have been all over those rocks after dark, and that would have made things even more interesting!:shocked: ) If they can get the area rearranged a little, and/or get the dock back up, that might make this a lot easier. But for now, right in front of Blue Angel is rather touchy.

I did a Discover Scuba course in front of Caribe Blu yesterday.

The entrance area is actually cleaned up nicely with sandbags to walk out on. The surf was a little tricky yesterday and the current was pretty strong, strong enough that when kicking against it, you didn't really move much. As a result, we didn't get too far and we actually never broke 10 feet.

If you've seen the area before (done shore dives there before), don't waste your time...you will be very disappointed...there really isn't anything there except debris with a fish here and there. If you've never done it before, make sure you are ready for a strong current...you never know how it is going to be there. Also, don't expect too much...like I said, there's just not much there...but I suspect many of you will want to see for yourself...just consider yourself warned.

DO be careful on your exit...the rocks ARE sharp if you come out in the wrong place. Two women yesterday found themselves pushed into the rocks yesterday because they didn't surface in the exit point.

Be safe!

I did the discover scuba dive with my daughter and Christi so I'll post a few photos of it once I get cleaned up from our return home and opening christmas presents this morning. I have to agree with Christi. The near shore area looked pretty scoured. There were some fish, mostly around a big chunk of what was probably part of the dock from Caribe Blu. The current was fairly strong, it would have been much better to have walked up the shore a ways before getting in, but finding the exit point would have been tricky. My daughter had a good time anyway. I'm looking forward to finally having a dive buddy in my family.

I would like to thank everyone who is providing information regarding the diving off Cozumel at present. I am hoping you will continue to post.

I am heading to Papa Hogg's in late January and am interested in what lies in store for shore diving as well. I'll be doing plenty of boat diving, of course, but I never pass up an opportunity to throw on a tank and walk into the water.

Thanks for the timely updates. Look forward to those photos diveborg.

I had planned to do a couple of shore dives at Caribe Blu when we were there last week, but what with non-diving family and other attractions on the island, like eating, I just never got around to it until the day of my daughters discover scuba. After seeing what I it was like, I don't feel like I missed much. I do know that I did have a great time driving around the island a couple of afternoons, playing mini-golf, and visiting Paradise Beach in the afternoons I had thought I'd be shore diving.

I will be staying at the villablanca over the easter weekend. I am interested in the possibility of the villablanca to caribe blu shore dive. Several of you commented that you would be in Cozumel in Jan, Feb. Any updates would be appreciated. There will be four people in our party, so I'll probably hire a DM to take us. I don't particularly like playing follow the leader, but it sure gives me more time to enjoy the scenery, and find out what the characteristics of the dive are like, and Coz diving is ALL follow the leader.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom