Shore Diving Puako

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowflyer

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone have experience shore diving off Puako on the Big Island, and what is there to see there? And has anyone had experience diving with KonaShoreDivers?

Was there in fall of 2019. Dove 5 days off a RHIB with Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures - really enjoyed their op. Although I didn't shore dive, I could see that it would be pretty easy from different places/hotels on shore as long as there was a good entry spot. A couple reefs we dove were about 5-6 football fields from shore. Didn't see anyone shore diving from the small pier in Pauko, but the water definitely wasn't as clear as getting farther away from shore. As I recall, I probably wouldn't have entered the water from anywhere near the pier. The link @MaxBottomtime posted looks like a good spot.

Puako end-of-road is one of our favorite shore diving sites on the big island. The reef is a series of lava fingers that have a lot of wild life. We've seen everything from nudibranchs to turtles to hammerheads there. You may want to go with a guide the first time to see where to enter the water and where to drop.

I have not dove with Kona Shore Divers, but they were at Mile Marker 4 when we were diving there last year and were super friendly and helpful even though we were not diving with them.

My profile photo was taken at Puako in fact.

We shore dive Puako 2-3 times a year and really enjoy it. End-of-road, House 40, House 56, Catholic Church all good sites. Last dove there in May and that trip we saw reef sharks, turtles, tons of eels, spotted eagle ray and a manta did a fly by. The structure is pretty cool as well, arches, lava tubes and caves. Blue Wilderness runs out of the General Store on Puako Road you can rent anything you need there and they are a good source for the shore diving in the area. They also have a RIB they launch out of the Puako boat ramp, fun crew and usually only 4-6 divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom