Shore diving Scripps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mech

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm out of NorCal and have only spent a week diving the San Diego area.
I really dig diving Scripps Canyon.
I chartered a sixpack to do it.
I'm going back in October for a week of diving and want to do several dives at Scripps.
I'd prefer to do it as a shore dive because I'm a cheap grumpy old SOB that doesn't care for cattle boats and is not rich enough to consistantly hire one.
One of my friends said that Scripps is a beach dive with an easy access by the tennis courts.
My search on this subject tells me that I might have to go with UCSD dive club because they have a key to a private road.
How easy is this access from shore?
If possible I'd just assume not deal with the local club but will if I have to.
I have a driver that can drop off my team so I'm not worried about parking.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
mech

Depending on how good you are, you could probably stand at the top by the cliffs and do a backflip into the water.........(insert sarcastic smiley here)

No idea, but thanks for that info, didn't know about that. And yes, it's definately a shore entry.

to go with the UCSD dive club, you'll have to arrange it in advance with them and meet their qualifications. contact them off their website: http://www.seadeucers.org/

otherwise you can park near the pier, gear up, walk north about 10-12 mins on the beach to the point, enter the water, swim 10-12 mins to the buoy. has to be done at low-ish tide and smallish surf. and early in the day before it gets too hot for the walk in gear. it's not bad at all, once you get over the idea of it.

John H. Moore:
it's not bad at all, once you get over the idea of it.

This from the man in Wisconsin. Hey John, don't you have a website on Ebay right now? :eyebrow: I have yet to muster the determination to make this as a shore dive. Have made it out on our DIVEANIMALS boat a couple times. Would love to join the merry men and women who make that dive weekly but I can't afford the doubles right now.

Terry

Mech,

I shore dive at Scripps Canyon every Thursday night with the seadeucers. We usually run dives on the weekends as well, and sometimes on other weeknights.

Everyone gets 1 free dive with the seadeucers, if you want to keep diving with the club, then we ask you to join. You may be able to waive this or whatnot since you are only in town for a week, you'll have to talk to one of the club DMs.

Let me know when you are coming down and I'll be happy to dive with you.

--Dan

Dan,
Hey I really appreciate that.
I'll be in the area from 10/2 thru 10/9.
As far as giving your club money... I don't have a problem with that,heck it even sounds like a good cause for a regular donation.
I'll drop ya a line when it's closer to the date.
Thanks.
mech

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom