Short Bonaire Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chauncy19

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Short report for a short trip. Went to Bonaire on August 22nd red eye out of Newark, actually ended up leaving august 23rd at 11:15am. But that’s just an airline horror story. Returned august 30th –no problems except had to get up at 3am.
Stayed at Black Durgon Inn(7th time) and rented from AB car rental (8th time). First solo trip so that was very different.

Bought and brought new split fins with spring straps, and new atomic mask. Split fins with spring straps great!! New mask not so good, found couldn’t equalize as easy as previous mask which was more of a difference that the “better” glass.

Highlight of trip was diving Taylor Made and La Diana’s Leap with Bas Noij . Great dives, had never done Talyor Maid and would of never found it without Bas. Vivid coral and fish not sure why but everything seemed brighter and more alive. Tricky entrance as coral starts right at the shore entry. Also saw a school of rather large barracuda when reached about 25’. Taylor Maid is not on any dive maps and is an extreme northern site after oil tanks but before nucove.
La Diana’s Leap is a favorite with large wall and many turtles. Ending at Karparta which is also a great site.

Snorkeled last day and got a great view of turtles , rays and seahorses. Amazes me how close I get to these creatures in shallow water. Have to make sure I spend more time in the shallows on my next trip.

Love Bonaire and can’t wait to return. Appreciate everyone’s Bonaire story so have added my limited one. No pictures, sorry no camera.

Thanks for the trip report! I have to "visit" Bonaire vicariously through other’s trip reports until I can make it back there, so I really appreciate those that take the time to post one.

Martha,

I'll be going to Bonaire Sept 26-Oct 3. I plan on posting a daily report with lots of detail and pics. :)

ScubaDiva:

Will be awaiting your trip report. I get to BON on 10 Oct. Hope to catch some of the coral spawning. I am putting together a new macro setup just for this trip. Usually I shoot wide angle but will add this twist for the first time.

ScubaDiva:

Will be awaiting your trip report. I get to BON on 10 Oct. Hope to catch some of the coral spawning. I am putting together a new macro setup just for this trip. Usually I shoot wide angle but will add this twist for the first time.

Sweet! I just use my little Canon SD-630 Powershot with an underwater housing and throw in some amateur white balance.

Bob..we were on the return Continental flight back to Newark from Bonaire. What a horror show, but you guys had it much worse than we did. We got to the airport at 05:00 on Sun Aug 23 & was told the flight out of Newark had to turn around mid flight because of a failure of nav equipment.
Unfortunately we had guests checking into our unit that day so basically we spent the day out at Lac Bay (not too shabby). I believe the flight back to Newark left at approx 5:00 PM so it really wasn't that bad except that our car was not at Newark when we arrived Sun evening.
Next trip, try diving the east side with Bas Tol..I did a night dive there & it was phenomenal & a unique (to say the least) experience!

I hope Continental made things right for both of you. All you have to do in complain about the service. They will give out free tickets or cash. I know, I work for them....

I hope Continental made things right for both of you. All you have to do in complain about the service. They will give out free tickets or cash. I know, I work for them....

Really? Maybe things have changed with Continental in Newark. I'm based in Cleveland so fly Continental just about everywhere and rarely if ever have issues except in Newark. Years back I got to be one of the lucky people who sat in a plane with no working APU that pushed back from the gate on a 90 degree day and sat on the tarmac for 5 hours before being pulled back in and having the flight canceled. Continental wouldn't even cover the rental car I wanted to drive back to Cleveland since I had missed not one but two other flights back to Cleveland while sitting in that 130 degree plane and only offered a 50% off on the flea-bag hotel for the night. Three registered letters to corporate and I eventually got a letter of apology and nothing else out of it. The basic response I got to my phone calls about the issue was "Well that's Newark" I eventually gave up on trying to get a refund for my flight much less free tickets or cash and just wrote off the rental car to actually get home as a business expense.

I don't travel for work at all any more so made the mistake of forgetting about Newark on our last Cayman trip. It was $100 cheaper per person to fly through Newark than Houston for that trip. Now I remember why I don't like Newark. Push back from the gate, head off to the far end of nowhere, pilot comes on and says "We're now 67th in line for take-off we should be leaving the ground in the next 2 hours". In the future I'll likely be willing to pay double to not fly through Newark ever again which I think is Continental's plan.

Bonaire in 42 days for our first time, on the red-eye out of Houston. :D

DiverVince,
Yes it truely was a drag although the plane, it was pretty empty both ways and got to sleep. But to lose 12 hours of a short vacation errrr....
Will try Bas Tol sometime. Had problems connecting with him several years ago, so contacted Bas Noij this time. great guide and he will go east too. Really enjoyed my diving with him. but as been said heard great things about Bas Tol too.
Aku321--have not bitched at continental yet. good idea though thanks I'l try. they did put us up for the night and give us an inadequate meal voulcher.
PhilC--hear ya about newark--not my first choice either. I usually fly out of boston and try to avoid the NY Metro area. Unfortunately getting to bonaire is getting harder for me. Enjoy your time! I am sure you will!!!!

I've done a 5 hour involuntary layover in Newark, compliments of Continental's small plane partner. I also recall a 4 hour layover in Montego Bay back wen Air Jamaica was servicing Bonaire. Thankfully both timeouts were on the return, not outbound, leg of the trip.

The Houston red eye is ok, but you still loose the first day of diving on the island.

I have to say that the Delta service through Atlanta is the best. Your return flight leaves in the late afternoon. You can get most of full day of diving in the day before you leave. Getting up at 3 am for 5 am flight is awful. Especially since it precludes your previous day's diving.

Trip 6 coming up in November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom