Short inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got myself a used Deep Sea Supply wing on Ebay and a new Deep Sea Supply wing for my wife. I have to replace a leaking power inflator on mine. For her, the inflator hose is too short because her left arm range of motion is restricted.

I believe there are 2 options for her.

Get a longer inflator hose which I think is an easy job of just removing zip ties, replace hose and install new zip ties ?

Or

switch inflator to right side and move octopus to left side. Should work the same since the wing has a center inflator location.

Last edited:
I'd get a longer inflator hose.

BCD Parts and Components - Dive Gear Express

and yes, it's as simple as replacing the zip ties, You can use two on each end and position them so the join on one is positioned different from the the other.

if you scroll down the page on the link I've provided you will see not only different lengths of corrugated hose but also clamps which work well and are more robust than zip ties. Nowadays I usually use one clamp and one zip tie on each end. Good luck.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 09:23 AM ----------

Sorry didn't notice the part about left arm being mobility restricted.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 09:24 AM ----------

Another apology , I didn't notice I was in DSS forum.

I'd get a longer inflator hose.

BCD Parts and Components - Dive Gear Express

and yes, it's as simple as replacing the zip ties, You can use two on each end and position them so the join on one is positioned different from the the other.

if you scroll down the page on the link I've provided you will see not only different lengths of corrugated hose but also clamps which work well and are more robust than zip ties. Nowadays I usually use one clamp and one zip tie on each end. Good luck.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 09:23 AM ----------

Sorry didn't notice the part about left arm being mobility restricted.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 09:24 AM ----------

Another apology , I didn't notice I was in DSS forum.

She had no problem with my old Transpac, but it had a 16" hose. The Deep Sea Supply is 13".

Thanks. Sounds like changing the hose is very easy and the best solution.

Got myself a used Deep Sea Supply wing on Ebay and a new Deep Sea Supply wing for my wife. I have to replace a leaking power inflator on mine. For her, the inflator hose is too short because her left arm range of motion is restricted.

I believe there are 2 options for her.

Get a longer inflator hose which I think is an easy job of just removing zip ties, replace hose and install new zip ties ?

Or

switch inflator to right side and move octopus to left side. Should work the same since the wing has a center inflator location.

I'd suggest your wife try the gear before changing anything. People routinely think our hoses are too short only to find after a few dives that they are "just right"

Many inflators can be serviced with a few $$ worth of Orings. We do offer a tool.

If you do decide to change hoses keep in mind that corrugated inflator hoses are not reversible, meaning there is an "end" designed for the elbow on the wing and an end designed to accept the power inflator. There is a barb on the end of the elbow fitting and a barb part way up the nipple on the power inflator. These bards require grooves in the corrugated hoses at different places.

Be careful about how you "clock" the elbow vs the power inflator. They aren't 90 degrees to each other. I'd suggest assembling the elbow end of the hose and then donning the gear *before* you make up the PI end, otherwise you may find the Power inflator doesn't lay flat. Some soapy water helps when assembling or making adjustments.

Lastly, be careful about zip ties. Cheap all plastic ties fail pretty easily. We use a UV resistant tie with a stainless steel locking tang. We use a pair of these on each end of the hose. Your local electrical wholesale house probably has them, but they usually sell them in huge bags.

Tobin

Divegearexpress.com & Northeastscubasupply.com will have what you need for both cases....Just make sure the hoses have the same diameter to fit the inflator/elbow......And some corrugated hoses are elliptical and bigger than the original DSS....But replacing an inflator & hose is not hard......Just Ty-wraps as you said.......

I'll chime in here... I did not see anything about the PI having a dump elbow, but in case it does, you will need a new cable to match the changed hose length. If you lengthen the PI hose, there is a good chance you might have to get a longer regulator hose too. Otherwise the short hose from the regulator will prevent the PI hose from extending. The regulator hose, the PI hose and the cable (if used) all have to work as a team.

I'll chime in here... I did not see anything about the PI having a dump elbow, but in case it does, you will need a new cable to match the changed hose length. If you lengthen the PI hose, there is a good chance you might have to get a longer regulator hose too. Otherwise the short hose from the regulator will prevent the PI hose from extending. The regulator hose, the PI hose and the cable (if used) all have to work as a team.

DSS has never sold wings with pull dumps........

Tobin

If you do decide to change hoses keep in mind that corrugated inflator hoses are not reversible, meaning there is an "end" designed for the elbow on the wing and an end designed to accept the power inflator. There is a barb on the end of the elbow fitting and a barb part way up the nipple on the power inflator. These bards require grooves in the corrugated hoses at different places.

I did not know that. I think I have an old project that needs to be inspected.
11.gif

Pete

Thanks for the advice everyone.

My wife hurt her left arm when she was young. Range is limited to around 90 degrees. She did 4 dives and ended up using her right hand.

I like those clamps at dive gear express. Look much more substantial than a tie wrap.

By the way, other than these 2 problems, the wings worked great. So small and streamlined. I got the Tropical Travel wing and my wife has the Torus 17. Perfect for warm water diving.

I also did not like the short 13 " corrugated hose on my DSS wing, so after trying 4 different brands, found the best replacement was the Zeagle 16" which works perfectly with the Zeagle BX inflator. To fix the new hose I use two 7.3 " Ty-Rap ties (with the steel tab), from Home Depot, on each end. This hose is symmetric so it makes no difference which way it's attached. Not sure if it would work with the stock Dive Rite inflator, which I'm not using.

Back
Top Bottom