Shortest and most comfortable ride out to the Whale Sharks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwillh9181

Registered
Reaction score
I want to take my wife to Cancun or Isla Mujeres to see the whale sharks in July.

The catch is my wife hates boat and starts to feel seasick once we even start talking about going out on one.

So where should we stay to have shortest and most comfortable ride out to the whale sharks??

My guess is there is a big difference in boats we can take, is this more important or is the location of where we stay most important?

We are divers, I know how can she hate boats and still dive, I will give you her email and you can discuss that if you want. lol

Any help would help!

John

You're kind of at the mercy of where (and if) the whale sharks decide to do their thing on the day that you go. The boats all scatter different directions to where each of them expect to have the best odds and then talk on the radio to announce when someone finds the congregation.

When I went, we searched the seas for an hour or hour and a half before we heard the radio crackle with the magic words "lotteria, lotteria".

Even if you do cross over to Isla Mujeres and stay/depart from there, be sure she takes her meds for the ferry crossing too. It was calm on my way across, but the return trip was pretty "sporty".

Why waste time riding on a slow ferry to Isla when you can leave direct from a private marina from the mainland. We have a large offshore speedboat with twin 250HP engines. It doesn't get any faster, smoother or more reliable than the boat we use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom