Shortie or Trilam full?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kong

Reaction score
I have never worn a wetsuite/skin before and have been diving for 20+ years. All of my diving is in the caribbean or south pacific where it hasn't been required.

However in Cozumel last Thanksgiving, I was quite cool on the 3rd dive of the day and especially on the night dive.

I'm going to Guanaja(Bay Islands) May 13th and will do at least 3 dives a day so maybe it's time I break down and learn to deal with a wetsuit.

I don't like the fact that I'll have to add weight if I get a 3mm shortie. I dive with 4 or 6lbs right now and just don't want to add more. IF I go with the Trilam it is supposed to be neutral boyant but I'd rather have a shortie.

What are the pros/cons to either choice?

Thanks for any input.

I like to cover up so I have a Bare 3/2 suit. I also have a trilam drysuit. I recommend the wetsuit for what you are doing. The drysuit will be a hassle...and it is more $$$. The 2mm sections on the legs & arms are nice & I am comfortable.

Kong:
I have never worn a wetsuite/skin before and have been diving for 20+ years. All of my diving is in the caribbean or south pacific where it hasn't been required.

However in Cozumel last Thanksgiving, I was quite cool on the 3rd dive of the day and especially on the night dive.

I'm going to Guanaja(Bay Islands) May 13th and will do at least 3 dives a day so maybe it's time I break down and learn to deal with a wetsuit.

I don't like the fact that I'll have to add weight if I get a 3mm shortie. I dive with 4 or 6lbs right now and just don't want to add more. IF I go with the Trilam it is supposed to be neutral boyant but I'd rather have a shortie.

What are the pros/cons to either choice?

Thanks for any input.

Kong,

I like a little exposure protection. For me, 3mm shorty was a bit much in 82 degree water, but in 70's would probably be fine. YMMV

If you decide on a shorty, take a look here http://www.scubaboard.com/t48917.html

I prefer the shorty when I can get away with it... but when I was in Truuk - even though the temps were mid 80's, I switched to a full 3 mil because we had jellies everywhere on the night dives - and it was very easy to have one brush against your leg.

As far as your weight.. I wear about 6 lbs in the ocean if I'm just in a bathing suit or shorty, and 8 lbs in the full 3 mil - It's not that much extra to add for the suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom