Shorty of 3mm full wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would advise to always where a full length suit for protection against the sun. scrapes, and stingers.

I also have a fabric (non-neoprene) hood just in case there are a lot of hard to see stingers in the water.

I wear a a Half millimeter neoprene full length suit when diving Lembeh or Bunaken in North Sulawesi or a polyolefin full length suit (very rugged fabric) Though I have seen others be cold in a 5 mm full length suit with hood at Bunaken .

In California in the summer I wear a 7/6/5 mm full length suit in water that is 19 degrees Celsius (66 degrees Fahrenheit) and I am never cold .

Waters around southern Bali and Komodo are colder than Bunaken and Lembeh. Check with your local dive operator in Indonesia about recommendations as Indonesia water temperatures vary greatly .

As mentioned above, depends on where you're going. If you are buying a new wetsuit and deciding between a shorty and a full, buy a full. A shorty does not have the protection against the scrapes that you will undoubtedly get over time without the leg neoprene. However I did dive a semi-shorty (short top, long bottom) that I rented while diving out of Tulamben in Bali and it was fine as far as temperature was concerned...but because of the leg protection, I avoided any scrapes on my legs from the rocky / somewhat surf-y shore entry that my buddies got who were diving with shorties. You will probably be fine, temperature-wise, with a shorty around Lembeh / Bunaken and Raja Ampat (the other 2 places in Indo that I have been)...the water was above 26/27C the whole time I was in any of those places and I don't remember too much of a drastic thermocline. Have fun in Indonesia.

But is it very big different to dive in Indonesia than similand and out from Phuket?
I was working there one year ago, and never used my full suit there, always shorty...

But if there is more currents, termoclines might make it cold?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to travel as light as possible, the wetsuit takes up a lot of space in the luggage...

You might be very uncomfortable diving the south of Bali or Komodo with a shorty ... there can be drastic temperature drops from the warmer north sides.

Another thought ... I've got a Pinnacle Bioply, which is a skinsuit with a very short, fine fleece on the inside ... warmer than just a skin. I've never tried it, but I'll bet the Bioply, coupled with a shorty, would be a good combination both in terms of warmth and protection ... except for those really cold areas.

Bioply Suit - Spandex Goods - Zeagle Dive Systems

Norwegiandiver,

Maybe you Nordic guys can stand the cold better than I but I would strongly advice a full suit any day around the tropics cus of the possibility of jellies, stings, sharp mussels formations etc, etc.

SangP

can get to 16C in Nusa Penida in Mola Mola season :) shorty should be fine :p

A shorty at 16C? For a polar bear, maybe! :shocked2: But then I fully admit being a WWW ...

Average water temperatur in Bali around 27-28c, so it's quite comfortable using 3mm shorty here. But for your consideration, from June to August the water can reach below that due to winter season in Australia. When you dive in south area of Bali such as Penida, and you go deep hunting for mola-mola, the water can reach 18c in 30m depth.
I suggest using full wetsuit while you were here, not only to protect from the temperature but also if you accidentally touch a hydroid.

Average water temperatur in Bali around 27-28c, so it's quite comfortable using 3mm shorty here. But for your consideration, from June to August the water can reach below that due to winter season in Australia. When you dive in south area of Bali such as Penida, and you go deep hunting for mola-mola, the water can reach 18c in 30m depth.
I suggest using full wetsuit while you were here, not only to protect from the temperature but also if you accidentally touch a hydroid.

No wonder it got to 13 when I was at 60 :wink:

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom