Should a participant really be Modding their own thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Really, should a Mod who is very obviously participating on one side of a thread be able to Mod that thread, start a new one in which they set out their own parameters and then end discussion in the original that was opposed to their POV?

I refer to this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/389252-why-do-we-hate-air2-7.html#post5972607 where it was perfectly ok to compare and contrast two methods of configuration until.. I presented a rebuttal to the MOD's prefered stance.

Was my post really the one that put that thread off track or was it just uncomfortable?

I think DaleC was refering to my last post in the AIRII thread.

I wasn't 'moding' the thread. I created a new thread to open-up the discussion without taking the original thread off-topic. I mentioned that it was off-topic to discuss long-hose/DIR on an AIRII thread... that was not moderation. Just an observation. If I felt strongly about DaleC's post, then I would have reported it.

I haven't modified or adjusted anything on that thread, haven't reported anything, etc etc ..... so I don't know what DaleC is whinging about.

Dale, first of all, let me say that moderators do participate in forums just like other users, and we sometimes express strong opinions or take staunch positions in a debate, but we do avoid moderating threads we are involved in as ordinary users. If you think something like that is happening, the best course of action is to report the offensive post and let uninvolved moderators take a look to see what action to take, if any.

Next, I'm having some difficulty finding the part of the thread you object to. I can't see which of your posts you think might have got the moderator's goat, and because of that, I don't see the moderator's response, and because of that I don't see any moderation. I tried going to your profile to find your post and start there, but you've posted a whole pile of times in the thread, so I'm still lost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the work Quero. It was post #189 which appeared to me to be stifling a rebuttal but DD has since then described his position in the thread and I have described mine and I suppose it has been resolved fairly enough.
Andy, it's not really whinging when one side of a debate holds the power to arbitrarily curtail discussion. You've explained your side and I'll take you at your word.

Glad the two of you came to appreciate one another's perspectives. Take a deep breath, smile, and shake hands. It's the internet, after all, and so much of communication in this medium is open to misinterpretation....

Andy, it's not really whinging when one side of a debate holds the power to arbitrarily curtail discussion. You've explained your side and I'll take you at your word.

Hi Dale, hopefully you know the staff here well enough to understand that we would never use our Mod status to arbitrarily curtail or otherwise influence a discussion for personal reasons. Wherever possible, once engaged in a thread, we don't get involved in that thread's moderation. The post I made (ref: the new thread/off-topic etc) was as a fellow SB member. I really, really, really, was just trying to create something positive.

When I was doing a quick hang in 100msw one day
breathing from an old, seaquest air source machine
some sharks sneaked in up on me and luckily I was
not, able to do anything about it, even with the fins
with spring straps, that I made, from the junk shop.
:)

Back
Top Bottom