Should all recreational BCD’s have two tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread clearly answers the OPs question...”Should all recreational BC’s going forward have two tank bands?”.

The answer is NO. We see a number of people that like BCDs with two tank bands and a number that are happy with just one. Fortunately there are a number of BCD choices that have one or two depending on the likes and needs of the purchaser and there should be no requirement that they all have two.

I love my teaching BCD with only one band - the AL grip lock or whatever. Quick easy etc. Slide it on a tank, slap it down any you're done.

I love my wings too - all have metal cambands. That said changing a cylinder on a rolling deck and sliding 2 wet straps off a tank - well is more awkward then a single.

Never had one come apart ever. Don't care which I use realistically as long as I'm in the water

I want to thank everybody for responding to this thread. Obviously I am biased. However, the intent of my dogma was not to offend, but rather to provoke thought. Evidentially this issue is not as commonplace as I thought or lead to believe. The consensus boils down to simply a matter of preference. For the most part, those diving dual tank bands favor them and those diving jackets with single bands swear by them. Excuse me now, I must go bark at the moon.

TMHeimer....why would you think I was talking to you? Maybe because my post came right after yours? Is it too much to to think I was replying to the original poster with a bit of advice? My bad, I will be clearer next time so people don't get confused..The advice I gave to the poster was taught to me and has been working for me in my rookie time since 1979 so I feel it is at least a viable option to try. If you disagree because something else works for you, thats great too. the whole idea is to give the poster several things to try so his diving is enjoyable.

Tank won't slip if you're in horizontal trim

... but many divers don't always dive that way ... not even the ones who know what they're doing. Horizontal trim is great for when you're moving through the water, but as a photographer I spend an awful lot of my time hovering ... often in quite non-horizontal positions ...

DSC07509-Bob.jpg

As to the original question ... no, all recreational BCDs do not need two tank straps. But I will only choose to purchase one that does. Let your money decide what works for you. Slippage isn't the only issue ... a second strap also improves tank stability.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd like to see you access a shore dive with horizontal trim.

... well, there is that too. Where I live almost all the diving requires you to gear up and walk some distance to enter the water. Some of those walks are quite long, or involve some degree of climbing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you have small hands and proportionally less strength cam bands, like many things really designed for men, can be hard to close at all if they are not set looser than is optimal. And also: am I the only one who doesn't really get an opportunity to wet a strap on a boat before the first dive? Yeah I like my two scubapro stainless cinch tank bands, two of them, because I'm probably NOT getting them super tight, and it doesn't matter, they don't slip. Also the BC with weights is too heavy to comfortably lift up and off, better to just unclench. Also the velco tank size adjustment is a lot easier than those darn confusing cam bands.

On a boat, a small bottle of water comes in really handy. Just mount your tank and pour a bit over the straps before tightening.

As for those integrated weights ... it's much easier to change out your tank if you've removed the weight pockets first. All WI BCDs that I've seen make it pretty simple to remove them and reinsert them once you've changed tanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Now is the time to bring back the old metal band used on the plastic backpacks, they never slipped. Unfortunately I'm not by mine or I'd send a pic. ScubaPro made a good one that could quickly switch between an old steel 72 and an Al 80, the two tanks used by most at the time. A pita for a flight, but great locally.

Bob

I dive BCDs with dual straps and have never had a tank slip, probably because I pre-wet the straps as suggested by others. Back in the daze I did have a single strap BCD and the cam mechanism popped open at 80 fsw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom