Should all recreational BCD’s have two tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank won't slip if you're in horizontal trim

Sure it will: all it takes is being close to a wall and a little surge. For varying values of "little".

I have had an Aqua Lung single tank band slip (not the GripLock model), but the upper tank band tank kept the cylinder from slipping too far down. It was also my fault because I did not properly tighten the band. It was not a safety issue. I have never had a cylinder slip using the Aqua Lung GripLock or the Scubapro Super Cinch band.

When I use my DSS BP/W with single tanks I have two tank bands, but that does not minimize the design of the recreational BCDs with effective single tank bands that have never slipped on me.

Hundred of dives and never a failure using single strap...now it seems I'm always chasing down someone in our group fixing theirs...some folks just need two....maybe three:wink:

I have had an Aqua Lung single tank band slip (not the GripLock model), but the upper tank band tank kept the cylinder from slipping too far down. It was also my fault because I did not properly tighten the band. It was not a safety issue. I have never had a cylinder slip using the Aqua Lung GripLock or the Scubapro Super Cinch band.

When I use my DSS BP/W with single tanks I have two tank bands, but that does not minimize the design of the recreational BCDs with effective single tank bands that have never slipped on me.
Another vote for Pete's device & Bio Tank Lock. The tank lock advertises "a tank never slips", and it hasn't (except once) for a decade. You can't mess up with the Tank Lock if you follow the simple directions. But, if it comes apart and you are a dope with directions (as I was once), it will.

If you have small hands and proportionally less strength cam bands, like many things really designed for men, can be hard to close at all if they are not set looser than is optimal. And also: am I the only one who doesn't really get an opportunity to wet a strap on a boat before the first dive? Yeah I like my two scubapro stainless cinch tank bands, two of them, because I'm probably NOT getting them super tight, and it doesn't matter, they don't slip. Also the BC with weights is too heavy to comfortably lift up and off, better to just unclench. Also the velco tank size adjustment is a lot easier than those darn confusing cam bands.

If you have small hands and proportionally less strength cam bands, like many things really designed for men, can be hard to close at all if they are not set looser than is optimal. And also: am I the only one who doesn't really get an opportunity to wet a strap on a boat before the first dive? Yeah I like my two scubapro stainless cinch tank bands, two of them, because I'm probably NOT getting them super tight, and it doesn't matter, they don't slip. Also the BC with weights is too heavy to comfortably lift up and off, better to just unclench. Also the velco tank size adjustment is a lot easier than those darn confusing cam bands.
I understand

Recently we had a long and fierce thread about underwater doffing and donning gear. Most common reason to do that was to adjust a slipping tank band. An issue practically never encountered with dual band bcd's.

Recently we had a long and fierce thread about underwater doffing and donning gear. Most common reason to do that was to adjust a slipping tank band. An issue practically never encountered with dual band bcd's.
Or single tank bands properly fastened.

My fancy new super light weight travel BCD has a single band plus an upper "velcro strap" (along with the normal tank valve strap).After a few trips I cut the velcro strap off and tossed it.

Approaching 1000 dives, never needed a second strap. I did once need to do a better job of adjusting my strap and securing my tank. Just once....

Get the strap wet at the start of each trip.

Or single tank bands properly fastened.

My fancy new super light weight travel BCD has a single band plus an upper "velcro strap" (along with the normal tank valve strap).After a few trips I cut the velcro strap off and tossed it.

Approaching 1000 dives, never needed a second strap. I did once need to do a better job of adjusting my strap and securing my tank. Just once....

Get the strap wet at the start of each trip.
You have more dives than me. And you did a "once". Consider "once' with my Tank Lock". -- "a better job of adjusting".....just once. "Get the strap wet". Jeez, is there no right answer here?

I have only ever had BCDs with one band. Never had a tank come loose using the most recent two, and even then it was only when I got rolled on rocks trying to exit the water. My older ones sometimes came free, but so rare it was never a concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom