Should I bring my laptop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItMustBeJames

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Before anyone jumps all over me for this one, my strong inclination is to leave it at home. I promise.

There is only one good reason to bring it. My dive computer uploads to my laptop and updates my dive log. With a week in Coz coming up, I expect to have plenty of dives to log. Is there an alternative to bringing the laptop?

My assistant DM in OW class used to print out his computer-based dive log, but I never got around to asking him how he updated it on travel. What do you guys think?

Also, everyone says that Coz is a very safe place; are hotel rooms generally secure enough to safeguard a laptop?

-James

ItMustBeJames:
Before anyone jumps all over me for this one, my strong inclination is to leave it at home. I promise.

There is only one good reason to bring it. My dive computer uploads to my laptop and updates my dive log. With a week in Coz coming up, I expect to have plenty of dives to log. Is there an alternative to bringing the laptop?

My assistant DM in OW class used to print out his computer-based dive log, but I never got around to asking him how he updated it on travel. What do you guys think?

Also, everyone says that Coz is a very safe place; are hotel rooms generally secure enough to safeguard a laptop?

-James

You can always upload your dives once you get home. Most dive computers these days store 50+ dives. It would be virtually impossible for you to log that many dives in a week. In fact, I would guess that you'll log less than 25 dives for the week.

Often people who are into underwater photography or video will bring their laptops to download their photos from each day...but if it's just to upload your dives, I wouldn't bother.

However, if you want to bring your laptop, it will be safe in your room.

Christi:
Often people who are into underwater photography or video will bring their laptops to download their photos from each day...but if it's just to upload your dives, I wouldn't bother.

However, if you want to bring your laptop, it will be safe in your room.

I would worry more about the salt air corrosion issues.

Download photos? The Epson P-3000 (40 gig) or 5000 (80 gig)... the "adult iPod" See http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp

Im leaving for Coz tomorrow and Im brining mine along. I have wireless net and so does the place we are staying, it will allow me to have access to my emails and banking, upload pictures and videos, and not be bored on the plane. But then again I dont go anywhere without some sort of technology, whether it be my laptop, PDA or cell...

People laughed at me for bringing mine along last year. Then wanted to borrow it to pop off a quick email or to look at or email some of the digital pics. I brought it mostly for use with pics and to email friends, but was usefull when had to deal with some airport delays and such and I was very glad I brought it along.

I have had laptops and desktops on boats and in dive shops since 1996, and up until last week, I would have told you not to really worry about the salt air. I had my first problem with a cd drive and corrosion on a newer dell. I think heat in some places is your worst enemy. A week in cozumel though shouldn't hurt it. I like the epson thing though...It's kind of expensive though Doc, and I didn't get much for christmas...whadya say?

RoatanMan:

Of course I wouldn't advise that he take it to the beach or on the boat, but with normal use inside or even outside, a week long trip is not going to hurt his laptop anymore than traveling anywhere else with it.

I actually have two laptops (in otherwords, I don't have a CPU)...one at home and in my office...and salty air has never been an issue.

RoatanMan:
Download photos? The Epson P-3000 (40 gig) or 5000 (80 gig)... the "adult iPod" See http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06093004epsonp3000p5000.asp

Way ahead of you on this one. I bought a P-2000 last year for a trip to Ireland and I take it everywhere I travel. I shoot 6.1 Mpix RAW photos from my D70 and I took about 1 GB of photos a day over there. That little thing is a lifesaver.

I haven't sunk the capital into an underwater setup for the D70 yet, but when I do I'll be prepared for lots of photos.

-jne

Christi:
I actually have two laptops (in otherwords, I don't have a CPU)...one at home and in my office...and salty air has never been an issue.

Actually, you have at least two CPU's; every laptop has a CPU in it, and I believe some have two. Do you mean that you don't have a desktop computer? Sorry; I am an engineer in the chip biz... ;^)

Christi:
Of course I wouldn't advise that he take it to the beach or on the boat, but with normal use inside or even outside, a week long trip is not going to hurt his laptop anymore than traveling anywhere else with it.
In a former life, I routinely field-stripped all sorts of computers blindfolded (metaphorically speaking, of course). So even if something does go on the fritz, I'm not too worried as I could replace it fairly quickly and painlessly. I'm glad it isn't a huge danger though.

I'd kind of like to get away from email, etc for a week. But if the need arises, my cell/pda has intl voice and data access. I've just got to remember to bring the charger and maybe get something other than solitare to play during plane delays.:wink:

For non-dive-computer recorded items, like dive location, dive buddy, etc, I guess I'll just write them down in a notebook and reconsile it all when I get back. Sound good?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom