Should I buy gear or take more classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox class is necessary to take.

I'm hoping that this was meant as humor.

Moving on....get your own gear. The more you have to rent, the less often/likely you are to dive. When you have all your own gear, that boat dive suddenly costs less. I pay $100 for a 3 tank boat dive vs $150 for boat and rental gear. It's also easier to just pick up a tank or two at the rental shop with all your own gear already packed for the beach dives. Lastly, as was already mentioned, familiarity with your own gear leads to comfort in the water and more efficient handling of emergencies.

I had 65 dives when I completed rescue if that indicates how slowly I progressed. Now that I'm at that level I'll expedite through the rest. However, I also had great mentorship which has helped me learn more than any book or course.

The question you should ask yourself is do you want to take classes or would you rather go diving?

I went about 200 dives after basic stupid open water before I took any other classes and I'm glad I did. Nothing will replace diving for experience in my opinion.

I agree that owning equipment will allow you to dive more often. However new equipment doesn't need to cost a fortune & if you are careful you may have money for both classes and equipment. Be clear about what you are shopping for -- often you will find it used on either Scubaboard classified section, ebay, etc.

Not all equipment is the same so best to purchase good equipment from the start which will see you through whatever type of training you decide to take in the future.

I think Lynne's suggestion for a computer is excellent. You can't go wrong.

A very good computer is the Aladin Tec 2g, and someone here on SB just bought one new for $277, which is a very good deal. It's Nitrox capable, so it can grow with you as you start doing more aggressive diving.

A good mask is priceless, wetsuits are worth buying new, fins can be purchased used, used regs in good condition can often be purchased for 1/2 of the retail price, and so can tanks. To do it over ,I'd probably buy a back plate & wing from the beginning, which you can find on the classified here, it will substitute for a BCD.

Good luck

Strike a balance between diving and getting into your own gear. The classes can wait. You're a certified diver just stay within the scope of your training and experience.

The progression of classes you have sounds good but I'd put priority on staying fresh/building skill and getting into your own gear.

Pete

Last edited:
I think that it will be best to take and get your BCD, regs, I assume that you already have your own mask, fin and snorkel from your OW course. Your best bet for your gear is try to find a shop that has a pool or maybe if there is one at Blue Hole(I don't know I have not been there) that will let you try on gear and dive it. This will help you make the best decisions on purchasing the gear that works for you. For the price I would also check the classifieds through here, I have bought a few things on here with few problems.
Dive your tables for at least a few dives since this will help you if you continue on in diving. I know that a lot of people go straight from OW to AOW, but I think that its best to at least get a few dives in before taking AOW. I would suggest spend the money to get your gear this year and dive up to your $1500 limit and then look into taking your AOW next year as you get more comfortable in the water and have better bouyancy. I know that I am a newer diver, but I think that quite a few others will agree with this plan of attack.

For a beginner on a budget forget more classes if you are still getting comfortable with the basics. Go with gear. Zeagle express tech BC new $250. Sherwood brut reg. Around the same price. Plus onto and console another say 200. A computer can wait. You don't need it for 2 or 3 dives a day if you are ok with tables and the dives are less than 60 feet. Which as a new ow diver is where they should be. In fact to really get good with skills go for less depth and more time to work on buoyancy and trim. 30-40 ft is plenty deep and you will likely run low on air before hitting your ndls. More training should not take place until you have the basics down and then more training should give you new skills and knowledge. Not repeat what you should have gotten in open water or just be a lame taste of advanced dives with no real new skill development.

Id always recommend going diving over taking classes. I see too many people bouncing from class to class without actually doing *real* diving and therefore lacking experience completely despite having a card.

Best option, buy some gear like maybe a reg and a computer to reduce rental costs and just do lots of diving for a while.

I'd say get gear, avoid rental costs, dive more. Besides doing a lot to improve your diving it will help you figure out what classes will be most helpful for you. Compromising with some of each is not a bad idea. With some used gear and careful shopping you should be able to get your gear for well under $1500.

Nitrox is a great class to take and you should plan on it sometime, but I wouldn't call it a necessity. For the diving it seems you are likely to be doing it would not be that much of an advantage. And if you are on a budget you may not even want to pay the extra for Nitrox.

Same with the computer. I think they are great things to have, but if your budget is tight I wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of the priority list. While very convenient it probably won't provide much advantage to you right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom