Should I do my Advanced OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnybigfoot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How do,

I apologise if this question has been asked before............

I did my OW last November (Key Largo) and just did a couple of dives in Portugal (Albufeira). I have a grand total of six YES SIX dives.

I really enjoy this stuff and obviously want to get better and more into it.

I am back in Miami in 6 weeks and was planning on nipping down and doing my AOW. I realise I will get more dives and more tuition and I can also go deeper but is it worth it at this stage.

Should I just do more dives and ease my way in?
What are the benefits of doing my AOW?

I am new to this forum and enjoying reading about your passion.

Cheers...........

Certainly, get your AOW.

Just don't think of it as Advanced Open Water, it's more like Additional Open Water. But it will give you more experience which is never a bad thing. :)

Hi, is that Essex Uk your from?

Do you intend to dive in the Uk? if not yes go do your advanced, it will broaden your experiance of Diving in tropical, holiday enviroments. If you intend to dive Uk, Dive at open water level at your resort, then when you get home join a BSAC club or alternatly look at one of the dive shops in your area and do a Advanced Open Water course tailored to the Uk conditions.Be careful though its a very addictive pastime!

Good advice Saudi-Diver. It was great in the Keys, seemed really easy. When I went to Portugal I expected the diving to be similar. Its a hot place. However I had to wear a full 7 mm suit with headover and was surprised at how cold it was. Should have expected it as its the Atlantic. To be honest I panicked a bit on the way down but stuck with it and had a great time.

On another thread 'String' comments that its easier to do training in the cold and the dark and then do 'holiday diving' rather than the other way round. You seem to say the same.

Thanks for the post.

>>On another thread 'String' comments that its easier to do training in the cold and the dark and then do 'holiday diving' rather than the other way round. You seem to say the same.

I hope that's true. I just joined Scuba Board and am "getting my feet wet." I've been diving in Puget Sound, where 50 degree water and 20 foot vis is a great day! I'm looking forward to warm water diving later this fall when we're on a cruise.

Training in cold dark water is wonderful preparation for a warm tropical dive vacation.

You can either go for advanced or just dive. There's really no rush. The advantage of advanced cert is to get more experience in some new topics. There's nothing wrong with just being open water certified and diving. I know plenty of people who have been diving for years and have never gone beyond OW.

I think whatever sport you participate in, you should try to increase your knowledge as you progress. Experience is also key, but additional training will open doors to wonderful new underwater worlds.

I agree with the two main points here:

(A) More training is better than less training, while, of course, good experience is king.

(B) Speaking of experience, it's way better to train in your local cold, dark water than in "gin clear, bathtub" water on vacation.

I know WAY too many people in my area (northern California) that trained on vacation in the tropics and NEVER dive here. How can you get good, let alone competent, only diving on vacation?

Good points made. Thanks to you all.

I am going to do it here (UK). I did my OW in 2 days and that seems a short time having read some of the posts elsewhere here. I was the only student and he was a good instructor and I was going to go back to the same guy. Now I think getting trained by someone else, in different conditions can only be a good thing. I need to make sure I am competent. Also I cannot keep jetting off to get experience.

Plus I can put the cash I would have spent on flights and accomodation into getting kit..... computer I don't need, flash knife, loads of wetsuits, clips, a couple of torches...... uou get the idea.

It's always best to get your training in the area that you'll be diving in. The keys are great, but only if you're going to be diving in the Keys. Spring water is great if that's where you're going to dive. You have to be comfortable in the environment that you'll be making you're second "home" in. I live in Florida, so pristine conditions are normal for me. Even though I have almost 200 dives under my belt, I don't consider myself an "advanced" diver, even though I have AOW and am almost finished with Rescue, because I don't have experience in cold, murky water (even though I don't intend to ever dive in it.....lol). I'm spoiled, and won't apologize for it. But I know my limitations.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom