Should I get a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watson G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to diving (only been on 2 diving trips since getting my OW) so forgive me for asking a question that may be obvious. I am planning a trip that will have me do a high number of dives over a short period of time (around 4 dives per day over 4 days). I have been considering getting a nitrox cert to allow me to use nitrox for these dives. After some research, I am aware of some of the pros and cons of Nitrox but am still unsure whether my case warrants me spending on a nitrox cert (I am a student and would prefer to hold off unnecessary expenses + time concerns mean that I would rather spend my time diving than spend it studying for an exam). Any advice is welcomed!

Cheers,
Watson G

Just checking, isn't it compulsory to do 2 training dives with nitrox as part of your cert?

Nope. Do the eLearning at home and go into the shop for some review and to learn how to analyze tanks, hands on. That's it.

Diving nitrox is not terribly complicated. Watch you don't exceed your MOD and know how to program your dive computer for nitrox. That's essentially it. There are no "skills" that you need to practice on a dive.

My usual answer is yes and if you stick with diving you will almost certainly want it. But is it the right time for you. How good are you on gas? If you can swing the cost then yes, especially if your dives end due to NDL time and not gas.

But bear in mind that for the two locales you mentioned in another thread nitrox is extra, often 10 dollars or more per tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom