Should I get a physical before learning how to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 48, work out regualry weight training, running and swimming , get yearly physicals, in better shape now than when I was in high school. I am very comfortable with the fact that according, to the doctor I am "dive ready". On my OW certification, I'm coming out of the lake up the steps all geared up and pull a groine muscle - go figure. It put me out for 2 weeks it hurt that bad. What is the point of this story? I'm not sure just thought I'd share... Really though, from a comfort stand point, I don't think you want to be worrying about "Should I have checked with my Doctor before before I started this?" with 30 plus lbs of gear that won't float straped to you and 30' or so of water above your head...

I'm no sping chicken and older than most on this board. There will be times when you will be glad you are in shape for this sport. Like those long swims back to the dive boat or that long swim to shore with a good chop or current. Also it helps when you find that nice 10 pound anchor and realy need would like it for on your boat. Man-oh-man, pulling up that old outboard from 30 feet, now talk about your areobic exercise!! I say for your own saftey you really do need to be in reasonalbly good shape, no kidding.

shark.byte.usa:
Agreee look at the medical form definitely get checked out if anything is a YES [You'll have to anyway], else do it if that's what you need to do to make yourself feel comfortable.

You've been a member for a year and haven't got certified yet, are you syching yourself out or what? Go to the doc, get certified and Just Dive. We're not climbing Everest or mountain biking down Krakatoa :D

P.S. Sounds like Matteo's been spying on my softball games.

Things kept coming up, cars, babies, ect.. I am now paid up and ready to go.

PADI only requires a physical if you answer yes to any of the questions on the medical release, they don't actually require a physical as much as Dr's release saying you are fit to dive. I don't think it's a bad idea to get a physical especially if you have had chronic ear, nose or lung problems. I get one every year but I have to because my Divemaster rating requires that I have a Dr's release every 2 years so I just go in once a year to be safe.

Matteo:
for the record, I'm 31 and slightly more than a bit out of shape, but I am working on it! and I dive quite regularly! if it makes you feel better, use the above suggestions and get yourself checked out. But, at the same time time, go to your local adult-league softball field and see how many grossly overweight, hot dog eatin', cigarette smokin', beer and whiskey guzzlin' guys are out there playing ball and managing to get by. It's tough to admit, especially for guys, but no trip to the doctor's office is unwarranted. Do what you feel is right for yourself and in your own good common sense. Diving does provide some unique health issues, but most, if not all can be overcome with knowledge and preparation.

Give em time...:shakehead

shakespear:
Does it matter? Im 30 a bit out of shape, but I wonder about things that I may not know about.

If you feel healthy and have no serious medical history, I would say no. Afterall, if nothing has been wrong so far, do you truly want to go to the Doc to have him/her tell you there is something wrong? (well, sure you would after the fact)

If you don't feel comfy diving now, then by all means, get a physical. When in doubt, consult your doctor about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom