Should I stick with Steel 120 Tank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I am a new diver. Did my OW dives 1 and 2 yesterday for my Padi cert and have 3 and 4 next weekend. I have a steel 120 tank that I got off a buddy that no longer dives. This past weekend I was diving with a steel 80.Dives went great (man what an awesome experience!!!). However, walking back to the parking lot I was freaking exhausted lol. Especially after dive number 2. Looooong walk up the beach. The 120 I have weighs a freaking ton, and gets me about an extra 500lbs of air vs the 80 I was using. So my question is, should I sell the 120 and get something a little smaller? Most of my diving will probably be from shore and in cold water. (I'm in New England) so full suit, hood and gloves. I'm trying to figure out what the advantage of having such a big tank is. I'm a big guy...6'0 275. Any input is welcome.

Thanks!!!

Sure it was a steel 80? Short, dumpy tank. I dive steel 80s, but I’m short - 5’5”.

Happy medium would be steel 100s. Better for your height than steel 80s.

I was told they were 80's..so I would think so. They were they same size as my dive partners and hers was an aluminum 80. I was pondering the 100.

Hey all,
. I'm trying to figure out what the advantage of having such a big tank is. I'm a big guy...6'0 275. Any input is welcome.

Thanks!!!
More gas. Less weight needed.
You say you're a big guy - do you find you are running out of air before your buddies do?
You should also be able to lose some ballast with the heavier tank, if you are diving with the same weights try ditching some as you are probably over-weighted.

What 120 is it? There can be significant variation between manufacturers, pressure ratings, and form factors for a tank that is rated to hold 120ish cuft at rated pressure.

FWIW, I dive with Genesis(PST) 3500psi HP100s and HP120s. As Marie noted the HP100s are pretty much the same size as the AL80s and my HP120s are just a few inches longer.

The aditional gas and steel in the 120s do add a little dry-land weight over the 100s, but is not a huge difference compared to the overal weighted rig. At 5'10" 185ish, I don't find it uncomfortable, but I am relatively long in the torso.

I’d keep the HP120. If/when you get around to doing boat and/or deeper dives, the extra gas is nice (vs. even a HP100).

Find a used HP100 that you can use for shore dives. I didn’t notice a “shore weight” difference going from a Catalina AL 80 to my Genesis 100’s, but there’s a noticeable difference (to me) between a HP100 and a HP120.

That and it seems to be easier to find HP100’s used than HP120’s. If you sell that 120 to fund the purchase of a 100, you might be SOL on finding another used 120 if you decide that you want the extra gas at some point. Just my two cents.

Actually, in looking at a picture of us standing side by side her tank is definitely longer by quite a few inches. I specifically remember the instructor saying it was an 80. I'm the only one diving with the steel tank...all the other students are using aluminum. Instructor said he want me to feel what a steel tank is like in the water since that's what I had. My 4th dive next week, I will be using my tank.

Keep the 120 and buy an 80, sometimes you need more air, sometimes you don't. Shore and cold water is why I bought a 120, and will sometimes do one long dive instead of two shorter ones.

Beside, once you start buying tanks, selling one just seems wrong.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom