Should I wear life preserver on dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dandydon, you posts made me think of the old saying about reefing sails ---- if you are debating with yourself about whether or not it's time to reef, then you should just do it. If you are in a situation where you start wondering whether it's time to put on a PFD, then it's probably already time to do so.

Once the seas get up to 6-8', I generally don't bother going out diving. 8-12' would be pretty nasty unless they are just long rolling swells.

diving almost every day in Guam. Swimming is not a concern...we're not too far from shore, and I swim 2.5 mile ocean races, so keeping afloat indefinitely (until I had to sleep, at least) isn't really a problem. The one time I wore one was when we hit HUGE waves entering the harbor...I thought there was a good chance the boat would capsize and/or people would be washed overboard (I told all my divers to get theirs on as well..only time I've had to do that) and the main reason for ME was that I figured the bright orange PFD would make it a lot easier for the Coast Guard to spot me in the water.

OTOH there have been several times when I put the wetsuit back on and had fins and a mask in hand in case the boat went down. When the bilge pumps are barely keeping up with the flooding, or the boat doesn't run with a storm coming, prudence says its time to get ready to swim.

Long swims in rough cold water are bad enough without forgetting your thermal protection and gear.

If there is ANY doubt grab a vest, but keep your thermal gear on until you hit the dock too.

FT

Say, FredT didn't I read of a few LOB (loss of boat) experiences you had in the Gulf?

Might be good to resend or post links to those if you would.

thanks

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Dandydon, you posts made me think of the old saying about reefing sails ---- if you are debating with yourself about whether or not it's time to reef, then you should just do it. If you are in a situation where you start wondering whether it's time to put on a PFD, then it's probably already time to do so.

Excellent.

... either a wetsuit or lifejacket. Can't remember the last time I wore the latter, probably because it's assumed on dive charters that you'd be in a wettie.

MerKiwi once bubbled...
... either a wetsuit or lifejacket. Can't remember the last time I wore the latter, probably because it's assumed on dive charters that you'd be in a wettie.

Last month, I was diving in 82 degree F water. Some people who chill easier than most might wear a neoprene, but most of us wore skins(no boyancy) or just swim suits. The air temp was in the 90s F, so even those who wore neoprene, were not pulling the suit around the shoulders until dive time. Ergo, in warm climes and waters, no help. I presume the air and water are both cooler in New Zeland?

This weekend, I'll be diving kelp beds off of Catalina Island, across from Los Angeles, so while I'll be wearing a neopreme suit in the water, the air temp is supposed to be in the 80s F, so again - my wet suit will be tied around my waist. Same next month when I dive WWII wrecks off of Morehead City/Atlantic Beach North Caolina. Probably the most dangerous time is when I got to the back of the boat (stern?) to pee. But if I drink plenty of fluids, I gotta' pee sometimes.

Thanks, D-Don

Back
Top Bottom