Should the Icon Mask be Recalled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been collecting different masks for decades, and have recontly gone to Goodwill to get snorkels and masks to try out. Many people pick up a cheap mask and use it on a vacation to warm water, then give it away to Goodwill for next to nothing. But I see that this Icon mask is available new from Amazon and other retail outlets.

At first, I was put off by the apparent use of vinyl for the mask, but then I took it into the water and was rather intrigued by the use of this transparent material. This allowed more visibility of things around, without the triple-window of other masks.

But that stopped when I took it off and the strap broke off the mask, rendering it useless. I found the pin in the pool water where I was doing this evaluation, and I gathered it to look at what happened. I had another of these masks, which also had a plastic pin which broke! So that, for me, is two out of two mask malfunctions due to a very un-robust plastic pin for the mask strap system. So the question is, should Aqualung take this mask off the market? Also, if you have dive buddies, or students if you are an instructor or divemaster, with this mask, warn them of this possibility.

It used to be that these mask pins were made of stainless steel, and it would be virtually impossible for them to break a pin. Now, at least with this mask, this is a distinct possibility.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
one my fellow use very simple method: He just make two holes in the plastic and put there bungee :)
h-1295.jpg

It already works for many years :)

I use neoprene headstrap with soft nylone straps
snapshot54-jpg.460458.jpg

and attaching it to the plastic buckles, not to the pin.
You can use both ways. :)

But as Aqualung manufacturer - it is not good idea to sell such bad products....
In most cases cheap products could be had bought by non experienced divers (or snorkels) and for them any incident much more dangerous than for others...

As "good" manufacturer Aqualung have to recall this products... but...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom