Should Visual Inspections be made Law?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a PSI Inspector I say-- NO.

"The first thing we do, Let's kill all the lawyers"

From Henry VI by William Shakespeare

NO, currently OSHA has regs that cover it. Having a law won't improve safety because visual inspections are only a snapshot in time, the very next day a diver could empty the tank and let water in, or fill the tank with their own compressor beyond the operating pressure of the tank.

Currently I feel comfortable with OSHA, PSI and CGA guidelines and regulations for visual inspections.

Most manufacturers want more frequent inspections because their lawyers have advised them that if they put in writing what they recommend for inspection frequency and there is ever a problem with a tank and their recommendation wasn't followed their risk is minimized.

Right, because most are not likely to be divers so the law won't affect them personally,
but passing a law to make something safer always sounds good even if in reality doesn't do much to actually increase safety. Gun control laws being a perfect example.

Gun control? I'm in strong favor of gun control. Use both hands, grip properly, squeeze the trigger! :D

Back
Top Bottom