Should we have a fixed rotation of locations for Wrinkles Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Unforutunately, the posts for the original version of this thread were lost in the database crash, so I will attempt to summarize what has already been proposed. I'll do what I can to accurately represent this information to the best of my recollection. If I misrepresent any ideas or fail to bring up some points that were discussed, please help me fill in the blanks for anything that may be missing.

First a little catch up:

The poll for the Date for the January Wrinkles Dive ended with a Decision for January 29th.

The final tally for the date of the Wrinkles Dive was 19 votes for January 29th with a few other dates coming in tied with 15 votes. There were some posts lost at the end of that thread and the votes are no longer complete, since the poll reverted back to an old version from a backup.

New issues to discuss:

Many people have expressed an interest in possibly having a fixed rotating schedule of locations. This way we would already know what the location was well in advance. This would more easily allow people to plan ahead if we were going to dive a location that required any travel on the part of some members.

The idea of "weighting" locations was also being discussed. Areas with more ScubaBoard members in them would be visited more often because they are closer to the most ScubaBoard members. According to the SoCal Roll Call this is what our current SoCal membership numbers look like by county:

===== Total Members in SoCal (103) =====
- San Luis Obispo County (2)
- Santa Barbara County (5)
- Ventura County (6)
- Los Angeles County (39)
- Orange County (23)
- San Bernardino County (6)
- Riverside County (3)
- San Diego County (19)

The counties of Imperial, Inyo and Kern are not included because we currently don't have any members on the list in those locations. Obviously, only the counties that are actually on the coast would be included in the rotation.

There were some concerns expressed concerning weighting, but we were just starting to brainstorm about what the best system might look like.

I was suggested that we could have a system where we might put locations on a 5 month rotation. The first 4 months we could rotate through San Diego, Orange County, LA County and Catalina. In the 5th month, we would rotate in a more distant location where less members reside or a boat dive. The idea here is that we don't exclude anyone, while making it as fair and equitable as possible for everyone in SoCal.

It has also been suggested that we simply continue to rotate between San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles Counties. People in "outlying areas" would just travel to these centers of population until they had more people participating in their own areas. Then those areas would be included in the rotation in the future.

I've tried to get this information together as quickly as possible this morning and am still a bit groggy from the cold medicine that I'm taking. Please forgive me if any of this is unclear or inaccurate.

Thanks for helping to make the already fantastic Wrinkles Dives even better in the future.

Christian

Christian,
I wasn't completely up on the thread before the crash, but you seem to have summarized everything clearly and concisely. That being said, I like the idea of a boat dive every so often. Many times, we can save quite a bit of money by chartering the entire boat and/or a big chunk of one. Obviously that puts someone in position of making a financial commitment, but there are ways to handle that as well.

I agree with the boat dives as well as everything you were able to say, Christian. Are the people that live in the outlying counties interested in participating in Wrinkle's Dives and haven't because they live to far from the dive sites that have been picked so far? I guess what I am trying to say is that if they aren't interested, why bother to schedule in those area unless we want to do a road trip (which would be fun too!). Either way, I'm alway up for diving somewhere new!

Ann Marie:
I agree with the boat dives as well as everything you were able to say, Christian. Are the people that live in the outlying counties interested in participating in Wrinkle's Dives and haven't because they live to far from the dive sites that have been picked so far? I guess what I am trying to say is that if they aren't interested, why bother to schedule in those area unless we want to do a road trip (which would be fun too!). Either way, I'm alway up for diving somewhere new!
Whereas, I have not heard directly from the people in SLO County, I have spoken to people in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties that have expressed an interest in joining us. They have found it difficult to do so because of the distances. People from Santa Barbara were able to make it to the last Wrinkles dive because it was closer for instance. (Leo Carrillo is practically Ventura County as Scubapro5 pointed out in another thread.)

That would be a good thing to know with more certainty. Thanks for bringing it up!

So, here is an opportunity for those of you from the more northern counties to actively participate in the discussion. Don't be shy, since your silence will probably be interpretted as disinterest. :wink:

As far as road trips go, I'm game for someplace new and exciting!

I look forward to other people's thoughts as they realize that the board is back online. Terry and Sean had some constructive ideas. Hopefully, they are willing to rehash some of that for this "replacement" thread.

Christian

I'm with Ann Marie on this one. I know it's a catch-22 as far as SantaB and SLO. If you have no events they can't participate, but there is no guarentee they will go diving if you have an event. Just because someone has a cert card, is on SB, and lives in a county, it most definitely doesn't mean they dive or will dive with the Wrinkles crew.

I was going to point out many people never attend any Wrinkles dives and live in SD, LA, and OC counties(people on SB). Perhaps we should have a Wrinkles dive crew signup which would demonstrate their intent to go to one of these dive events.

Perhaps in the WDC(Wrinles Dive Crew) sigup, we should specify how many events you have gone to. If you want to weight, I think those that have attended should definitly be weighted more than people who posted in the location thread and have never attended. If we had a signup thread, people who post there with the intent to dive with the WDC should be factored in....

Presently I think we have way too many assumptions. We could aways have a roadtrip dive in the future up in these parts as Ann Marie said, and see what the turnout is like.

I just hope SB doesn't loose all the messages AGAIN...

Just my thoughts about it. I am going to Los Coronados on the 30th so unless the WDC is comming to SD, I'll catch you all next time!

Sean

headhunter:
Whereas, I have not heard directly from the people in SLO County, I have spoken to people in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties that have expressed an interest in joining us. They have found it difficult to do so because of the distances. People from Santa Barbara were able to make it to the last Wrinkles dive because it was closer for instance. (Leo Carrillo is practically Ventura County as Scubapro5 pointed out in another thread.)

That would be a good thing to know with more certainty. Thanks for bringing it up!

So, here is an opportunity for those of you from the more northern counties to actively participate in the discussion. Don't be shy, since your silence will probably be interpretted as disinterest. :wink:

As far as road trips go, I'm game for someplace new and exciting!

I look forward to other people's thoughts as they realize that the board is back online. Terry and Sean had some constructive ideas. Hopefully, they are willing to rehash some of that for this "replacement" thread.

Christian

Otter:
Christian,
I wasn't completely up on the thread before the crash, but you seem to have summarized everything clearly and concisely. That being said, I like the idea of a boat dive every so often. Many times, we can save quite a bit of money by chartering the entire boat and/or a big chunk of one. Obviously that puts someone in position of making a financial commitment, but there are ways to handle that as well.

I have been the boat coordinator for the SOCDC for a little over two years. I know many of the boat captains and would be happy to make arrangements for a wrinkles dive (I don't get anything free, I pay for my spot, just like everyone else). Also, I already have several trips booked for the SOCDC, scubaboarders are welcome to join any of our trips at the member price. Our club doesn't make $$ from the trips, we just pray to break even.

Things to remember when chartering a whole boat: you do have to pay a deposit (usually 50% until you have been on the boat several times as a charter), you don't get a refund if you have people back out, you usually have to make the charter at least 3 months in advance (depending on when, where you want to go & who the boat co is). Even with split charters or groups, you need to be aware of the above.

That being said, where and when do y'all want to go? :eyebrow:

I posted in the old thread about wanting to see a rotation schedule. My thoughts had been that boat dives be scheduled within that rotation (SD = wreck alley or kelp or coronados; LA = Catalina or local wrecks; OC = ???; Ventura = Northern islands). Of course, I have yet to make it to a wrinkles dive, so this is only an opinion, and others who have made it to wrinkles' dives should have more say than I.

L

I don't mind traveling to new dive sites, so the idea of rotating sites sounds good to me. One of these dives is bound to be on a day when I'm not working so I can join in. So far Jan. 29 looks okay. Boat or beach is fine with me.
Neil

What an awesome group of local divers with great ideas! Christian, I think you're doing an incredible job coaxing us to flow together while honoring all the ideas offered...thanks!:luxhello:
See y'all on the 29th, and every other '05 Wrinkles dive I can possibly get to...
HURRAY for Synchronicity...and Captain Spaulding!!!
Claudette
headhunter:
Many people have expressed an interest in possibly having a fixed rotating schedule of locations. This way we would already know what the location was well in advance. This would more easily allow people to plan ahead if we were going to dive a location that required any travel on the part of some members.

The idea of "weighting" locations was also being discussed.

Thanks for helping to make the already fantastic Wrinkles Dives even better in the future.

Christian

Well this is getting complacated but I guess if we hash it out now then things will run smoother? Or not LOL

I am all for going to Ventura and Santa Barbara since the area is nice and I don't mind the drive and hope we do it atleast once a year.

Regarding boat dives,we had a thread last month and it never got off the ground and it doesn't look like we will get enough peope to do a charter so I sugguest we keep the boat dive seperate from the monthly Wrinkles gathering,I am sure we all dive more than twice in a month so there is room for a boatdive and Wrinkle in the same month.

North,South,East,or West just point the way and I/We will be there!

On a completly side note if anyone is into ATVing my famiy has got back into it again and would hope some of you are into it too? PM me if you would like to meet up sometime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom