Should You Go Shark Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LRobbins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ever considered shark diving? As divers, we tend to be completely utterly fascinated by them or scared stiff. Shark diving is a hobby that frequently turns into an obsession. It is filled with majestical moments beyond your wildest imagination and it's is also not nearly as dangerous as it sounds. Still not sure about diving into this new hobby? Click here if you are new to shark diving and would like to know more.

i love sharks!! ive just been in fiji for three months doing a marine consetvation progrmme. if we were give a profile for the dive, i was garunteed to break depth if we saw a shark as i was always tring to get as close as possiblle without scaring it away!
i also did a big shark dive there called the beqa shark dive in pacific harbour. i was basically in the middle of a feeding ground with bulls, a tiger, lemons, grey reefs, back and whitetips and nurses. it was AWSOME!!!! the tiger that rocked up swam right over our heads, it was that close i could have touched it! the fijians were hand feeding the sharks, was such an amazing experience!
id love to cage dive with great whites! that would be a dream come true!!

WOW! That sounds amazing. I haven't dived with tiger or lemons yet, but am hoping to very soon. Haven't been to Fiji yet either, but heard it's amazing! It must have been amazing to spend 3 months there! I agree with you about diving with the great whites, that would be the ultimate!

My wife told me that she'd divorce me if I went cage diving with Great Whites. I would love to do that. To see the apex predator at close quarters would be a kick in the pants!

My wife told me that she'd divorce me if I went cage diving with Great Whites. I would love to do that. To see the apex predator at close quarters would be a kick in the pants!

Bring your wife with you. I went to Isla Guadalupe last year to do 3 days of cage diving with the great white sharks. Awesome trip! Unfortunately, my wife was not interested in going with me. She would have had a great time!

Now the only shark diving I do is when I read the pages of "Shark Diver Magazine" :D

Sean

Should we go diving with Sharks? Absolutely.

Should we do Shark feeds? That may be a better question.

I've always maintained that I've had a healthy fear of sharks, to the point where I don't even like to swim in fresh water rivers (bull sharks). Oddly if I have a mask on, I'm okay. Fear of the unknown or the illusion of control.

A few years ago the wife and I were doing a live aboard in the Bahamas. They offered a shark feed.

It was amazing!

Now I'm the first in water to get down to the wreck to see the sharks before other divers scare them off!

Should we be doing shark feeds? I'm still on the fence about this one.

Last edited:
while i have done a lot of diving with sharks and find it fascinating i do not see why a cage dive would be that exciting. i tried once in south africa but we got skunked. however, even if we had seen a great white it's hard for to me to imagine that it would beat a cageless dive with tigers. to me cage diving is a little bit like seeing a shark in an aquarium (although aquariums are a lot more comfortable). you are stationary and separated by a barrier. it just isn't the same as diving with a shark. don't get me wrong, I do want to see a great white eventually and i guess only a cage can reliably get me there. however, the dream for me would be to see one on a normal dive. when they are not being fed or baited they seem pretty relaxed and a slong as you see them you should be okay. the one that gets you is the one you don't see...

Your wife said that she would divorce you if you went cave diving with Great Whites!

You replied "I would love to do that!"

Do what, Divorce your wife or go Cage Diving?

A Simple question from an Englishman! Sorry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom